British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

On 12/7/2022 at 6:48 PM, copper123 said:

Sorry but I could not justify paying around £40 for one of those george v coins they are simply a bit poor for that sort of money , about £12 might be right , I surpose they are really rare though.

yes I certainly didn't it was in with some other stuff I think ....it is surprising though even in the last 5 years the prices have been creeping up on rare issues

Edited by DrLarry

7 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

yes I certainly didn't it was in with some other stuff I think ....it is surprising though even in the last 5 years the prices have been creeping up on rare issues

Some of the stuff I have picked up over the years is certainly a lot more in demand , but its a small but growing market a lot of the collectors from the seventies that collected just as an interest have much more knowlege so people are less willing to let the more interesting item go for a song .

By the way do you have a joseph moore quarter sov?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

Some of the stuff I have picked up over the years is certainly a lot more in demand , but its a small but growing market a lot of the collectors from the seventies that collected just as an interest have much more knowlege so people are less willing to let the more interesting item go for a song .

By the way do you have a joseph moore quarter sov?

yes I just bought one arrived yesterday or today I think 

Found in birmingham for the princely sum of 50p , and its a rarer type

IMG_20221212_0002.jpg

IMG_20221212_0001.jpg

Edited by copper123
  • Like 2

IMG_20221128_0001.jpg

IMG_20221128_0006.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 6:05 PM, copper123 said:

Found in birmingham for the princely sum of 50p , and its a rarer type

IMG_20221212_0002.jpg

IMG_20221212_0001.jpg

a bargain well done , good value for money so you have made a potential profit of about £15  they seem to be selling for about that these days.  

Edited by DrLarry

17 hours ago, DrLarry said:

a bargain well done , good value for money so you have made a potential profit of about £15  they seem to be selling for about that these days.  

Wow did not know that.

The model mille is not mine though i wish it was , I lifted the picture off the internet - i think its about the best i have ever seen mine grades about nvf

Edited by copper123

Appears to be dated 1872 and posably in the style of joseph moore , very much an unknown item , again a pick up from birmingham

IMG_20221216_0001.jpg

IMG_20221216_0002.jpg

Appears to be dated 1872 and posably in the style of joseph moore , very much an unknown item , again a pick up from birmingham

IMG_20221216_0001.jpg

IMG_20221216_0002.jpg

it looks familiar to me I am just trying to think if that is because I may have one or if I have seen it in the book ...I will check tomorrow 

IMG_20221216_0001.jpg

IMG_20221216_0002.jpg

does it look as it it may have had a loop on the top soldered?

the closest to the one you show is Rogers #31 The Half Sovereign Jack but this one whilst the design is exactly the same is in Brass and has no date  so it might be a new one,  The Jack so far has only been found with a hole drilled 19mm with a plain edge you might want to look at the collection in the Fitzwilliam to compare looks the same to me 

Edited by DrLarry

CM.2438-2003

CM_2438_2003_281_29.jpg

CM_2438_2003_282_29.jpg

now that I can compare the two they are only similar in a very superficial way.  the legend on the reverse is very different.  if that is the case unless it was made as a pendent or a fob of some kind I cannot find a match.  I will continue to look through the Fitzwilliam Collection 

I would think it is supposed to be a crown or half crown , 

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

You are right it could be a pendant it has a reeded edge and could have been coated in brass but it has come off - I really dont know anything for certain about this coin - there again thats one of the great things about collecting these coins you are never sure where they have come from...

yes I agree I suppose the definition of a toy is a very loose one LOL  but at christmas we get to play so once the tree is up and the heating on I will start listing some of the others.  I will follow your lead and do some of the Bavarien and  Balmberger coins I think I have a few additions .  There is some interesting information in Rogers which I can quote from 

In my opinion its a really hard job seperating joseph moore coins from many many makers of tokens-jettons-counters whatever you call them the production of these just exploded from about 1850 onwards in birmingham and to a lesser extent London, the lauer coins are a diferent matter as few makers seemed to copy what they did .

By the way have you got the lauer QUEN VICTORIA  to hanover token dr larry ? I picked one up in birmingham for the usual £1 about six months ago, I was dead chuffed to buy it as its quite an embarasing thing to do having QUEN for QUEEN in the legend .

It has Lauer on the queens breast so you can tell it's a german import.

If you need anymore information just google it and you should find it .

And yes it's in A/unc condition as well as the scan proves

IMG_20221219_0001.jpg

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

In my opinion its a really hard job seperating joseph moore coins from many many makers of tokens-jettons-counters whatever you call them the production of these just exploded from about 1850 onwards in birmingham and to a lesser extent London, the lauer coins are a diferent matter as few makers seemed to copy what they did .

By the way have you got the lauer QUEN VICTORIA  to hanover token dr larry ? I picked one up in birmingham for the usual £1 about six months ago, I was dead chuffed to buy it as its quite an embarasing thing to do having QUEN for QUEEN in the legend .

It has Lauer on the queens breast so you can tell it's a german import.

If you need anymore information just google it and you should find it .

And yes it's in A/unc condition as well as the scan proves

IMG_20221219_0001.jpg

what is on the reverse? the "To Hannover" ?  no I cannot remember having ever found one not that I have really ever looked for one . 

I have been quite lucky of late with the rarer  Lauer issues Greece , Italy , Portugal and Spain  several unlisted so I am still enjoying the chase .....  yes I can see the Lauer just there below the trunc ...lovely condition ...Well done 

Edited by DrLarry

portugal 

s-l400 (10).jpgs-l400 (11).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

s-l400 (12).jpgs-l400 (13).jpg

s-l400.jpgs-l400 (3).jpg

s-l400 (2).jpgs-l400 (5).jpg

s-l400 (4).jpgs-l400 (1).jpg

s-l400 (8).jpgs-l400 (9).jpg

Italy 

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

Greece sadly only the 5 Drach It is nice they went so far as to translate the Lauer into Greek 

s-l400 (6).jpgs-l400 (7).jpg

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

Spain   along with the others it will be nice to add some of the images that were never collected by Rogers he only has the above a RRR* unseen but reported 

s-l400 (14).jpg

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

I think many of these are unknown.  Certainly I have never read or or heard of any Lauer showing Isabelas portrait as she abdicated in 1868 and her son Alfonso as a child only became king in 1874   this suggests then that this set was planned at the very least during her reign.  Rogers makes no reference to her in his description of the Spanish set .  I think rare issues that happen to fall around the time of some turmoil or other might give us  quite a bit of detail to the history of Lauer manufacture and may also allow us to suggest that the Victorian young head and Gothics may also have been made in the 1860's rather than 1880's 

s-l400 (16).jpg

s-l400 (17).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

a few years back  I found a small hoard of Alfonzo baby head unlisted 25 PTS which may also have been part of this earlier issue 

• Like 1

Other side of the to hanover counter - It's a generic design common to most of these coins but insted of being dated 1837 it's dated 1830 so a bit different

IMG_20221220_0001.jpg

The european lauer pieces are a never ending subject with new designs being found all the time - I would expect the german pieces to have been well reserched locally over many years but a lot of the others were probably made in low quantities and many were lost in the first and second world wars , I would have expected the richer economies of europe, ie, france and belgium and germany to have fallen for these coins very quickly others like portugal and spain might have been less profitable so were overlooked , they could also have been used as dolls house money for posh kids rather than family keepsakes like they were in the uk.