British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

POST bandits

About three weeks ago a leaflet came through the post with all details about how !st and second class stamps have to be used by the end oof the year .

Having built up a little collection of first class stamps over the last three years or so (84 stamps to be exact)

I thought about this for a while and in the end decided to send off my stamps to be changed into new ones.

BAD CALL PETER , it promised on the leaflet that my stamps would be with me in a week (that was three weeks ago)  and I have knowhere to complain to or to chase up my stamps.

I surpose the old post office would not have been any better , so things never change.

It really does annoy me that companies like this hold you too ransom then apparently steal their own product back

I will of course keep you up to date and apogise if the stamps arrive  - i really think the high street post offices should have been given this job

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

My wife constantly complains how everything is monetised now, and how there are no staff running a business any more- we do their job for them,

and put up with this sort of crap....

• Like 1

Yes, agreed - the swapping process they have put in place is an unecessary and impositional faff for customers who've bought stamps in good faith. 

As you say, the Post Office staff should be able to swap the stamps round on request at any counter. Using their way you've still got to vist the Post Office anyway and then presumably waste more of your time locating the form.

But like so many things these days it seems to be thought up either by morons or someone deliberately trying to make life as difficult, time consuming, aggravating and annoying as possible. I can't quite make up my mind which.   

link

How can you swap your stamps?

To swap your stamps, customers will have to fill out a form available from the post office or to print from the Royal Mail website, and then send non-barcoded stamps back to the Royal Mail free of charge (for less than £200 worth of stamps). 

What happens if you use a non-barcoded stamp after January 31 2023?

Any post sent with non-barcoded stamps after January 31 2023, will be treated as if there is insufficient postage on an item, so it’s worth doing if you have lots lying around. 

How long will it take to receive your new stamps?

The ‘swap-out’ applications will be processed in around seven working days by the Royal Mail, so you can expect to receive your shiny new stamps in just more than one week.

Why not just continue to use them and let them gradually run out. Obviously barcoded and non barcoded stamps can be used up to and including 31.1.23. So what's the problem? 

Just went to the post office to send out an order and used stamps as close to the value as I could get. Special delivery is £6.85, so I used 7x1st and paid the extra 20p. This has added at least 1/2 a minute to the processing time because the guy has to count them, get the calculator and then work out how much more is due. Total waste of time. Given I have hundreds of stamps here, at least I can use them up in fairly short order as it's also 10x2nd for a special delivery and only 5p short. But it still takes the guy behind the counter the same time to process it, meaning I am going to waste approximately 13 minutes of his and my time in the coming days.

Well they have arrived after three weeks or so not the seven days  - I hope anyone else using this service has the same experience .

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE - I had no choice but send the stamps up the only other thing I could have done was use them all in the next three months.