British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DrLarry

James 1st half crown

Good afternoon,  I would like some help on this half crown I purchased.  I know it has obverse scratches but I still like it so no insults please.  I am trying to identify it according to the newest Spink and believe it to be the second coinage it cannot be 2667 because it has no plume .  It has QVAE DEVSand the ground line .  I did wonder if the mintmark was a scallop rather than the thistle ..... or perhaps its 2666 but the mint mark is wrong 

I only dabble in a few hammered so I would be grateful for your help it was a Bonfire night  present to myself I realise it is a touch piece and likely there has been solder removed, I now see that now I have taken a closer look.  It was not clear because the strike has rotated 80 degrees to the left.  Perhaps I will send it back 

CM221101-154155001 (394x400).jpg

CM221101-154210002 (400x393).jpg

CM221101-154449003 (400x390).jpg

CM221101-161234005 (273x400).jpg

CM221101-161318007 (199x400).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

OK I think I might understand what has happened here it is not a half crown it is a 30 shillings

11 hours ago, kildonan said:

Hi - this is a Scottish Thirty Shilling piece, not an English halfcrown.  The mintmark is thistle (as you suspected). 

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces55469.html

yes thank you that is very helpful I had done a little research myself and can see now what it is , a great help thank you so much