British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

James I Double Crown - thoughts?

These two coins are meant to be exactly the same coin, photographed at different times. Of course photography can vary, but this one looks comparatively  mushy…what do you think?

31823B35-C7C2-4929-A09A-62A8B6FCA003.jpeg

The stop before IACOBVS?

Try expanding the SAS at the bottom of the coin?

On balance, I'd say yes. But the difference in focus and lighting meant I had to do a lot of checking! And yes the top looks mushy, but I assume it's out of focus.

Can you buy it at the price of the top one? Because with that photo it should really be a lot lower than the price of the lower one! 

• Like 2

I was simply looking at various dies for the double crown and came across these two that were difficult to reconcile.
I initially assumed them to be different coins of the same die…I think it a tricky call, photography versus analysis, for me at least.
Interestingly the chronology is all wrong at London Coins, which counts against me to be fair!

8 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Same.

EE6C3C70-4C26-40E8-A8E3-5737A28BDF05.jpeg.08ebb9a3d88e874f8b3607091079b7d6.jpg

Amazing the difference two photos can make! The first looks like it’s just popped off the die, the second, like it’s been on the bottom of the ocean a few hundred years!

7 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Amazing the difference two photos can make! The first looks like it’s just popped off the die, the second, like it’s been on the bottom of the ocean a few hundred years!

The variable rim outside the border is a giveaway. Exactly the same in both.

• Like 1