British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Jmd

Looking for a 1953 VIP proof farthing

Despite thinking it was a long shot, thanks to @PWA 1967 I was able to source a high grade 2+A 1953 farthing a lot sooner than I was expecting - I'll share some images over in the coin acquisition of the week thread when it arrives.

So here's an even greater long shot...

Last March this CGS 85 ex J.B. de Loynes 1953 VIP proof farthing sold through Noonans for £280:

nOiMTIT.jpg

This sale came before it was known that some VIP sets contain a previously undiscovered 1953 variant (discussed in this thread) where the 'F' in 'FARTHING' points to a gap and the 'I' points to a bead. From doing a small amount of research it seems like a 50:50 split whether a VIP set contained this variant or the more documented 1 + A variant.

I'd like to offer £560 for this coin pictured (double the hammer price), something around that amount for a similar grade, or £250 for a lower grade example which is clearly this variant.

Edited by Master Jmd
  • Like 1

Looking at the sale at LCA with the LOT number that is still on the slab ,its the same coin i used the REV picture of on the other thread.

I wondered where it may of ended up or who may of bought it from LCA ,well spotted.

Its also on the CGS website as 2 + B 👍

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Master Jmd said:

Despite thinking it was a long shot, thanks to @PWA 1967 I was able to source a high grade 2+A 1953 farthing a lot sooner than I was expecting - I'll share some images over in the coin acquisition of the week thread when it arrives.

So here's an even greater long shot...

Last March this CGS 85 ex J.B. de Loynes 1953 VIP proof farthing sold through Noonans for £280:

nOiMTIT.jpg

This sale came before it was known that some VIP sets contain a previously undiscovered 1953 variant (discussed in this thread) where the 'F' in 'FARTHING' points to a gap and the 'I' points to a bead. From doing a small amount of research it seems like a 50:50 split whether a VIP set contained this variant or the more documented 1 + A variant.

I'd like to offer £560 for this coin pictured (double the hammer price), something around that amount for a similar grade, or £250 for a lower grade example which is clearly this variant.

Interesting that you mentioned J. B. de Loynes. He was Chairman of The Gambia Currency Board after their Independence in 1965, and prior to the formation of The Central Bank of The Gambia in 1971. He changed his name to drop the 'de' later in life. 

• Like 2

I've been thinking about this coin a lot recently, so I'm going to up my offer to £2,000.

If anyone would be able to put me in touch with the winner of that lot I'd be happy to throw in a finders fee of £100 if it leads to a successful purchase.

J B de Loynes presumably being the VIP in question.

Edited by 1949threepence

On 5/29/2023 at 11:57 AM, Master Jmd said:

I've been thinking about this coin a lot recently, so I'm going to up my offer to £2,000.

If anyone would be able to put me in touch with the winner of that lot I'd be happy to throw in a finders fee of £100 if it leads to a successful purchase.

Yikes, the matte probably available at that price or lower....

On 6/4/2023 at 4:29 PM, VickySilver said:

Yikes, the matte probably available at that price or lower....

If you do consider selling yours I'd definitely be interested. Do let me know if you have a price in mind.

LOL, I am an inveterate collector and almost never sell unless I have a double. Thanks though.

• Like 2

I have a 2+B. I think its probably a UNC but could be a proof. Looks way better than my 2+A in my set.  Got a piccy but size limit here not big enough to upload from phone

large.IMG_1140.jpeg.952602f3b76d19484a56fd526bab197e.jpeg

looks better in hand

Edited by pies

2+A is the rare one.

Sign in to follow this