British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
secret santa

New Victoria Copper Penny reverse ?

I have an 1855 P.T. penny which I bought because it appears to have the date numeral 5s in different fonts with the right hand 5 slightly "fatter".

However, the reverse of this coin appears to have a slightly different design with Britannia's chain mail bodice having what I describe as an ornate central panel. It's a pity that the coin isn't a higher grade but nevertheless it does look different to me.

1268042853_1855P1509PTrevzoom.JPG.5e63a8a0bdd883d863fa326835e5eab2.JPG Normal Plain Trident reverse

1487391702_1855PTfat5anddiffchainmailzoom-Copy.jpg.dc9a184cad9498fe8b919b35b420d321.jpgMy coin's reverse

Sorry about the size difference - it must be to do with the resolution of the originals.

Edited by secret santa
correction to wording

Probably not. I don't have a microscope and the coin is slabbed. I'll have a go but don't hold your breath.

I've increased the number of pixels and increased the size as much as the picture will allow if it's of any help.

164954170_Richards1855.thumb.JPG.055e07ac89df560c433c26325ee654ba.JPG

• Like 2

I checked my 1855 plain tridents and there is one coin that might possibly be a match. More than likely it is my imagination running amok.

This coin I had identified about 15 years ago or so and placed separately amongst my 1855s inasmuch as the colon is slightly closer than on others.

It does have a slightly "fatter" last 5.

Richard, maybe you can compare the colon spacing and see if there is a match there. If so, then that might be an identifier if indeed there is something ornate in the breast plate.

If it is just a closer colon spacing, then it is merely a die variety. If indeed, in addition to the colon spacing, there is also a more ornate design on the breastplate, then we have identified a new reverse die.

Obviously the ideal situation would be to find a high grade example and either confirm or refute this observation.

Again, despite the definite difference in the colon spacing we might be in total fantasy land regarding any design on the breastplate.

Date.jpg

Breast Plate - reduced.jpg

1855 varieties.jpg

1 hour ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

REVERSE.jpg

Hi Gary, this is an Ornamental Trident 

On 10/14/2022 at 7:23 PM, secret santa said:

I have an 1855 P.T. penny which I bought because it appears to have the date numeral 5s in different fonts with the right hand 5 slightly "fatter".

Any thoughts on this 1855PT re. 2nd 5 being slightly "fatter"?

254955697_14Teeth.thumb.jpg.5f4ee579a78ba9493adff2c5971fade0.jpg

5 hours ago, alfnail said:

Hi Gary, this is an Ornamental Trident 

DUH!!

Of course you are absolutely CORRECT.

That will teach me to do reseaech when I am half asleep. I do have it listed properly in my spreadsheet abd hopefully in my album too.

At least that relieves me of any hallucinations I was having regarding any similarities between the 2 coins.

Anyway, so long as the images are posted already, Iain, have you come across an 1855 closer colon (much as the 1853 Peck-1503) such as this?thus??

Regards and thanks again.

5 hours ago, alfnail said:

Any thoughts on this 1855PT re. 2nd 5 being slightly "fatter"?

It looks normal to me. The "tail" on mine looks fatter.

1855 P1509 PT fat 5 obv2 zoom.jpg

I agree that the second 5 on my coin is normal; it perhaps looks a bit fatter because it is tilted anti-clockwise.

In the absence of a really good close-up picture, I think it's impossible to tell what's going on with that date on your coin.

It could, for example, just be some grime on the inner curve, or some 'post-strike' damage (like the attached picture) making that part of the numeral look fatter than it was when struck.

Dented 5.jpg

On 10/17/2022 at 2:36 PM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Iain, have you come across an 1855 closer colon (much as the 1853 Peck-1503) such as this?thus??

Regards and thanks again.

Hi Gary,

I haven't particularly studied the many variations in colon dot positions; in my experience the dot locations always vary a little bit from one die to the next.

I have acquired a nice 1853 Peck 1503, because it is a documented type, and have also noticed that 1851's (all OT's of course) have DEF colons at close, interim and far positions.

Below are examples of the close and interim on Gouby Style 2A (second 1 over 1), and Gouby Style 3 respectively. 

1054932462_FullReverse.thumb.jpg.a53a69beeb106a6c77eb96c70920db0c.jpg

1146905456_FullReverse.thumb.jpg.919c5ff236dfcb69e5615cdc6031e5f8.jpg

• Like 2