British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Which 1926 Florin is the Better Coin

The  top coin is graded PCGS MS 64 while the bottom coin is ungraded.. IMO I think the top coin is the better example although there are a couple of light scratches on the obverse but overallI think a better struck coin. Any opinions would be appreciated It's interesting to speculate what grade the coin on the bottom would be given if submitted  to PCGS.

img119.jpg

Clipboard 1.jpg

Clipboard.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
typo

3 hours ago, ozjohn said:

The  top coin is graded PCGS MS 64 while the bottom coin is ungraded.. IMO I think the top coin is the better example although there are a couple of light scratches on the obverse but overallI think a better struck coin. Any opinions would be appreciated It's interesting to speculate what grade the coin on the bottom would be given if submitted  to PCGS.

Have you got this the wrong way round? I think the bottom coin is better struck esp. for the reverse. 

• Like 2

I agree there is not much in it but the bottom has a better struck reverse, also the toning is more even.

It could be the effect of looking through the plastic of the slab!

I would rather have the ungraded bottom coin. Looks better and struck better than the top MS64.

Edited by Iannich48
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

I would rather have the ungraded bottom coin. Looks better and struck better than the top MS64.

Agree. I would buy the bottom coin (and not only because I don't like slabs). There seems to be some wear to the hair on the obverse on the slabbed coin.

Here's mine, in case it's of any interest.

1926_OR_small.thumb.jpg.6f2c87bcb61d89fc3f7cf8eaf8893db8.jpg

Edited by david.bordeaux
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sword said:

Have you got this the wrong way round? I think the bottom coin is better struck esp. for the reverse. 

Quite right I got my tops and bottoms mixed. Just to be clear I thought the bottom coin  (un graded) was the better coin. Sorry for the confusion. In my defence when I posted the images I though they would be horizontal but instead they were in vertical order and I had to edit the post and made a mistake mixing my tops and bottoms.

Edited by ozjohn
Typo
  • Like 1

prefer the bottom , only my opinion though....

• Like 1

Prefer the bottom as well, especially the better strike on reverse

We are all in agreement that the bottom coin is better struck. For me, I often prefer a well struck George V with a trace of wear over a less well struck UNC example. However, I find the earlier portraits of George V notoriously difficult to grade from photos.

For the coins in questions, I am not a fan of the strike or tone of the first coin and prefer the second.

Sorry, I have to disagree. The bottom florin appears to be a better strike, and noticeably so. It would certainly get an UNC grade if submitted, so a higher number than the graded example.

15 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I concur.

IMHO the upgraded coin is more desirable.

Damn auto-correct,

I wanted to write "UNgraded".

I really like the obverses when well struck - I will try to post mine later if I can use the cell phone to render a piss poor picture.....

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sorry about the confusion in my first post. Like most posts i think my ungraded coin is better than the PCGS  MS 64 coin.

• Like 2