British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Good Afternoon 

I would like your considered opinion on this "new" 1866 I have found.  The date types are listed with 11 teeth 11.5 teeth and a wide date with 12 teeth BP1866 Aa;Ab and Ac respectively In Goulby .  Would you be willing to search through your own 1866 pennies to see if we might find a verification.  The date is clearly different from all the others mentioned notably the last 6 is High with an indent above and is very close to the first 6.  Your KIND thoughts please   

CM221003-152623001 (640x541).jpg

CM221003-152755005 (437x640).jpg

6 hours ago, secret santa said:

Larry, we need a photo containing all 4 date numerals to make a comparison.

oh OK sorry I thought I'd crop it from the middle of the 1 to the middle of the 6 to make it easier but sure I'll load one tomorrow 

Your main crop would suggest that it is still pretty much 11 beads width as halfway through each digit goes halfway through the respective bead below. If it were 10.5 beads then the halfway point of the final 6 would be between beads not over a bead - some slight clockwise rotation of the final 6 also seems to add to the illusion. But I do agree that the final 6 is a bit higher than usual, though of no real significance - the 1860's are full of both slipped and raised final digits as dies were churned out with limited consistency...

here is the full image 

CM221004-101208001 (640x310).jpg

CM221004-101242002 (640x317).jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

Your main crop would suggest that it is still pretty much 11 beads width as halfway through each digit goes halfway through the respective bead below. If it were 10.5 beads then the halfway point of the final 6 would be between beads not over a bead - some slight clockwise rotation of the final 6 also seems to add to the illusion. But I do agree that the final 6 is a bit higher than usual, though of no real significance - the 1860's are full of both slipped and raised final digits as dies were churned out with limited consistency...

but between the half of the first digit and the last is 9 sorry that was a slip up of my own making apologies there are only 10 taking into account the two half digits whereas there should normally be 10 

19 hours ago, secret santa said:

Larry, we need a photo containing all 4 date numerals to make a comparison.

I've uploaded the full  area there are 9 full  teeth and two half teeth to the middle of the ^ which is high and yes slightly rotated I am following the system outlined by M Goulby in his three examples there are 10 full teeth or 11 

12 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

yes the 1860 penny does have you say have many such errors but by 1866 we have only 3 date variations 4 including the BP 1866 B the 6 over 8  .  These are just the listed variants apologies I only study them for the sake of completeness of the record the best to date seems to reference only the 4 mentioned.  This then would appear to be a 5th of the 1866 variety.  My eyes maybe are deceiving me I am old  but 9 full teeth seem to be my count.  These things are not too important they are just unusual and have to be recorded.   

you may be correct perhaps I am misinterpreting the BP 1866 Aa 

5 hours ago, DrLarry said:

here is the full image 

That's not a type I've seen before. I don't have Gouby so maybe it's in there, but nevertheless it's a very distinctive variety. Nice one.

3 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

That's not a type I've seen before. I don't have Gouby so maybe it's in there, but nevertheless it's a very distinctive variety. Nice one.

thank you I am happy to have spotted something different.  Goulby shows three very different varieties in the most recent updates.  But the second 6 is very differently placed .  

12 hours ago, DrLarry said:

here is the full image 

That's much clearer and definitely not something that I've seen before.

11 hours ago, secret santa said:

That's much clearer and definitely not something that I've seen before.

Ok that's good then perhaps we can all look out for a second to verify it 66's seem a bit harder,  than one would expect,  to find I wonder if the figures for production are accurate.   Thanks for the help and wisdom 

Is that second six one of the three on Tony Crocker's triple struck one?

3 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Can you post a picture or a link so we can see...

5 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I can see no evidence of a repeat strike, if I view the 6 upside down  (the six not myself) the tail appears to be slightly longer and something looks different .  Silly question but do we know if the 9 and the 6 stamps are exactly the same?  I wondered looking at it today if it might be larger the second six. 

No- my mistake- I confused my strikings up- the jumbled 'triple' was an 1888 in Michael's book...

32 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

No- my mistake- I confused my strikings up- the jumbled 'triple' was an 1888 in Michael's book...

Oh yes I have a few half pennies with 8's over 8's from 1860 61 and 62.  Whilst they seem of little interest to many I am trying to discover how they fit into other legend errors often associated with them.  It's for interest alone