British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Upcoming Sincona Sale of British Gold (and silver) -YIKES

Okay, I know the usual caveats of holding coin in hand and quality of photos, blah, blah, blah. HOWEVER (and I know I may be biased but have NO axe to grind), I wonder what readers think of at least three of the coins on sale:

- the two specimens of 1839 Halfcrown proof

- the 1893 crown proof

- the 1902 florin matte proof (in 67 no less)

I was completely flabbergasted and am not necessarily a conspiracy person, but I can't help but believe that these grades are inflated. Now whether that is due to the source of the consignor, I can't say - but certainly must wonder. There were numerous other examples that IMHO had "blown up" grades as well.

Ah, yes. Would like to know your opinion, professor (well not copper but you'll excuse).

auktionen.sincona.com

Edited by VickySilver

18 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Okay, I know the usual caveats of holding coin in hand and quality of photos, blah, blah, blah. HOWEVER (and I know I may be biased but have NO axe to grind), I wonder what readers think of at least three of the coins on sale:

- the 1893 crown proof

I was completely flabbergasted and am not necessarily a conspiracy person, but I can't help but believe that these grades are inflated. Now whether that is due to the source of the consignor, I can't say - but certainly must wonder. There were numerous other examples that IMHO had "blown up" grades as well.

Given the amount of coins that's obviously been submitted and the clout NGC would receive for some of the rarities that's been through this British series from Sincona, it wouldn't surprise me there will be grade inflation

20 hours ago, VickySilver said:

- the 1893 crown proof

I must be a bit slow here but i can't find the 1839 halfcrowns in either Action 79 (British Collection part 3) or Auction 80/2 (the other British stuff).

10 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

I must be a bit slow here but i can't find the 1839 halfcrowns in either Action 79 (British Collection part 3) or Auction 80/2 (the other British stuff).

Same here, i cannot see them either. Found some decent 1848 pattern florins though.

Hmm, I will have to figure out what happened as this is an (IMHO) important phenomenon.

OK, I figured it out - I got this through the NGC site and the auctions, already occurred were evidently in November of 2021 and May of 2022!

Wow, can't believe I missed the dates......Still stand by my statements however.

Lot 858 Nov 2021 Sincona

Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 15.25.59.png

28 minutes ago, azda said:

Lot 858 Nov 2021 Sincona

Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 15.25.59.png

Thanks, the ones I was looking at were the October 2022 ones as these came up on the initial screen.

Edited by oldcopper

3 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

Thanks, the ones I was looking at were the October 2022 ones as these came up on the initial screen.

Can't find the 1893 proof crown

Lot 1341, the 1806 proof farthing struck in gold, took my eye. 

I assume a KF15, 1392 - described as "excessively rare". Nice. 

Another from the Sincona sale re-listed for sale at near double the price by the coin cabinet

Screenshot 2022-10-09 at 16.35.45.png

Screenshot 2022-10-09 at 16.39.55.png

Edited by azda

Lol

Screenshot 2022-10-09 at 16.35.55.png

On 10/3/2022 at 3:22 PM, 1949threepence said:

Lot 1341, the 1806 proof farthing struck in gold, took my eye. 

I assume a KF15, 1392 - described as "excessively rare". Nice. 

MMMMMM    nice