British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sword

Charles III portrait

23 hours ago, Sword said:

Does anyone else think it is a shame that Charles III is used in the inscription instead of Carolus III?  Now the inscription is a mixture of English and Latin. Elizabeth doesn't translate to Latin and so there wasn't a choice with the late queen. 

Me. Why dumb it down? :(

Because the whole world is dumbing down around us. Why does every TV programme begin with a summary of what is to follow ? Why does every news item have to have a piece of film illustrating what is being said ?

Not as bad as the programmes that spend the first minute or two after every advert break summarising what happened 10 minutes previously. Useful content of an hour long programme? 25-30 minutes, if you're lucky. :(

Edited by Rob

On 9/30/2022 at 7:46 AM, Sword said:

Image from BBC news and it took me a bit of time to warm up to it. I think the portrait appears friendly and approachable rather majestic (which was probably the intention).

516801228_charlesIII-Copy.jpg.13dd5aaba27f9fd18599f05ab8c85138.jpg

I see there's a nice rare commemorative version too!!!!89482701_CommemorativeRareKingCharles50p.jpg.736b07a014a319705942848c32a620c3.jpg

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, secret santa said:

Not the recessed ear variety, then ?

Absolutely not - remember when he was young he could understudy Dumbo?!

• Haha 1

Got my first Charles III coin in change last night. :)

Charles III 50p (s).jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I hope the portrait details are better with the coin in hand.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sword said:

I hope the portrait details are better with the coin in hand.

Yes, it's a lousy photo and it does look better in hand. :lol:

• Like 2

Wow, that looks to be of shallow relief - is that to relieve us of the sight of the [still] Dumbo ears and goofy visage?

The commem version above looks to have the ears toned down a bit and the more vacuous appearance of the 5 pound coin? Also, thee appears to be a square ear type of rendition on the commem.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:00 PM, Peckris 2 said:

She should have been Bessa :lol:

On 10/11/2022 at 6:05 PM, Sword said:

Does anyone else think it is a shame that Charles III is used in the inscription instead of Carolus III?  Now the inscription is a mixture of English and Latin. Elizabeth doesn't translate to Latin and so there wasn't a choice with the late queen. 

I find it strange yes but there again Charles is a bit strange.....

On 12/31/2022 at 5:08 PM, mrbadexample said:

Got my first Charles III coin in change last night. :)

Charles III 50p (s).jpg

You don't find this collectable do you!?

16 hours ago, copper123 said:

You don't find this collectable do you!?

Only from the point of view that this is the first coin I have used in a domestic transaction with a monarch other than The Queen.

Apart from that it's just as collectible as any other 50p to me. If I come across a commemorative I keep them but I have little interest in modern mint issues. The quality of our coins has taken a real nosedive in the last 20 years. I mean, Paddington? F****** Paddington? :rolleyes:

• Like 1