British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sword

Charles III portrait

Image from BBC news and it took me a bit of time to warm up to it. I think the portrait appears friendly and approachable rather majestic (which was probably the intention).

516801228_charlesIII-Copy.jpg.13dd5aaba27f9fd18599f05ab8c85138.jpg

50P thats released next week in the BU packets and then for circulation at a later date..

IMG_5826.jpg

IMG_5828.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967

That was quick!

And the article says it was done from photos not from a sitting.

That's quicker than expect.  Originally think KCIII portrait won't be available until 2023.  Now, thinking whether the upcoming launch of 2023 Britannia will also with KCIII obverse.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bruce said:

That's quicker than expect.  Originally think KCIII portrait won't be available until 2023.  Now, thinking whether the upcoming launch of 2023 Britannia will also with KCIII obverse.

Indeed. Going back through the centuries, the normal approach is not to mint any coins bearing the new monarch's effigy until the year following their death - so hence dated 2023 in this instance, not 2022.

Maybe this is due to tradition, and waiting until after the coronation. Not sure. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Maybe this is due to tradition, and waiting until after the coronation. Not sure. 

Traditionally, no money is issued in the name of a new monarch until after their coronation. 

• Like 2

Maybe coins for circulation won't be launched till next year, however for commemorative coins, they will launch with new obverse as soon as possible to make money.  Royal Mint launch new coins week by week before, they can't afford to suspend minting till next year.  On the other hand, there were not so many commemorative coins decades ago comparing with now, so there is no such dilemma facing.

When do new mint sets normally get launched in the UK?

5 hours ago, Bruce said:

Maybe coins for circulation won't be launched till next year, however for commemorative coins, they will launch with new obverse as soon as possible to make money.  Royal Mint launch new coins week by week before, they can't afford to suspend minting till next year.  On the other hand, there were not so many commemorative coins decades ago comparing with now, so there is no such dilemma facing.

According to BBC news, the new coins will be in circulation before the end of the year. I think from a financial view point, there is more money to be made if the RM delays commemorative coins until after the coronation. Coins commemorating QEII will sell very well as they will be the last coins of the queen. People wanting to buy Charles III commemoratives now are even more likely to do so if they have to wait after the coronation next year.  

The RM didn't have any issues with continuing to mint coins with the portrait of a late monarch in the past as far as I am aware.

Edited by Sword
  • Like 1

I see that there are plenty of places on ebay taking orders for the Charles III 50 pence pieces, at about £8 each. Seems expensive to me.

I like the 50p, and i think we have to queue at RM again next monday.  Also, look forward to the 2023 annual coin set.

On 9/30/2022 at 11:31 PM, Sword said:

Traditionally, no money is issued in the name of a new monarch until after their coronation. 

Unless it's 12-sided 3d bits for testing new machines :lol:

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, Bruce said:

Not many dead monarchs are on new coinage, so I'd assume Charles will be on them, also on the new sovereign releases and sets etc

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 7:04 AM, Mr T said:

I've already been asked by a dealer if I wanted a 5 coin sovereign set, these should be around Nov, could be a delay, who knows. The allocation the dealer has, has already been reserved, another dealer approached the dealer in question asking to buy their entire allocation 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azda said:

I've already been asked by a dealer if I wanted a 5 coin sovereign set, these should be around Nov, could be a delay, who knows. The allocation the dealer has, has already been reserved, another dealer approached the dealer in question asking to buy their entire allocation 

Seems likely a very popular one, in view 1902, 1911 coronation long sets are doing well after decades.

2 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Seems likely a very popular one, in view 1902, 1911 coronation long sets are doing well after decades.

The fact its a new monarch was the appeal, never normally buy these year sets to be honest, but I think these will be delayed till January.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 7:04 AM, Mr T said:

Nov/Dec normally, but I think they'll be delayed until the coronation, plus the Mint has just offered some coins today with an unlimited mintage, so they will be busy and as usual running no quality control

Got a silver proof 50p (£59.50) - I see they are £79.95 on ebay.  Not sure why anyone would pay the extra as the mintage is unlimited and you can order until 31 December.  It's not like the normal (shield) 50p's where one has to break up a proof set to get one. 

1 hour ago, pokal02 said:

Got a silver proof 50p (£59.50) - I see they are £79.95 on ebay.  Not sure why anyone would pay the extra as the mintage is unlimited and you can order until 31 December.  It's not like the normal (shield) 50p's where one has to break up a proof set to get one. 

How does the seller explain the 4 month wait time if he actually sells it? 

On 10/2/2022 at 10:40 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Unless it's 12-sided 3d bits for testing new machines :lol:

Edward VIII didn't exactly follow tradition. His portrait on coins points the wrong way and his marriage was just a tad controversial by the standard of those days. :lol:

• Haha 1

They are saying it would be dispatched 'within 30 days'.  Incidentally, the BU 50p costs £11 - Ebay is actually cheaper!  

7 hours ago, Sword said:

Edward VIII didn't exactly follow tradition. His portrait on coins points the wrong way and his marriage was just a tad controversial by the standard of those days. :lol:

Mind you, I don't suppose Edward had much or anything to do with the introduction of the brass 3d and the Mint's decision to send a limited number out for testing.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:16 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Mind you, I don't suppose Edward had much or anything to do with the introduction of the brass 3d and the Mint's decision to send a limited number out for testing.

The RM might have asked for his permission to send out a number for testing. However, he had other things on his mind then and probably would have just said yes without a second thought even if he was asked.

Edited by Sword

Does anyone else think it is a shame that Charles III is used in the inscription instead of Carolus III?  Now the inscription is a mixture of English and Latin. Elizabeth doesn't translate to Latin and so there wasn't a choice with the late queen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sword said:

Does anyone else think it is a shame that Charles III is used in the inscription instead of Carolus III?  Now the inscription is a mixture of English and Latin. Elizabeth doesn't translate to Latin and so there wasn't a choice with the late queen. 

She should have been Bessa :lol: