British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

copper123

Little coins big prices

For those who might have a few 1953 plastic sets hanging around or o few 1953 crowns.

1953 pennies are fetching £15 in BU with halfpennies fetching a tenner

A nice 1953 crown now fetches abour £6 after being almost unsellable at the start of the year

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

You never know, even the 1970's proof sets might jump in value next😁

Hey it already shows a healthy premium on its original issue price it has taken 44 years to manage it though you would have done a lot better in sovs

Oh yes, sovs, if only we had known that when they were cheap cheap.

Edited by Iannich48
Grammar

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

For those who might have a few 1953 plastic sets hanging around or o few 1953 crowns.

1953 pennies are fetching £15 in BU with halfpennies fetching a tenner

A nice 1953 crown now fetches abour £6 after being almost unsellable at the start of the year

That will last no further than 2023! Remember in 2001 when 1951 crowns hit £20 which was double what they were in 2000?

• Like 1

Just secured a 2023 5 coin Sovereign set, should be the first with Chas on the front.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

You never know, even the 1970's proof sets might jump in value next😁

Remember that odd mini craze for 1974 sets a year or two back?   

• Like 1

The "plastic " set of 1953 was an increadably sucessfull  selling over a million  if I remember rightly they were issued in post offices at a small premium over face value as a coronation keep sake.

Many were broken open in the seventies or even sixties  the penny waa always touted as "rare" even though its not  most of the higher value coins went back intoi circulation but the bronze remains in large quantities unused.

Even today the cheapest way of getting a set is in these plastic wallets

Edited by copper123

22 hours ago, copper123 said:

Hey it already shows a healthy premium on its original issue price it has taken 44 years to manage it though you would have done a lot better in sovs

Not if you factor in inflation. The 1970 sets were issued at £3 each which is £35 in today's money. I brought a set for £17 about a year ago and thought it was expensive then.

Exactly thats why i said sovs were a better investment  the best investment over time from the 1972 -73 era was definately shares

I do wonder what would be a good or even defensive investment today. Inflation is sky high, sterling is rock bottom, FTSE is not doing well and a (possibly long and ugly) recession is just around the corner. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sword said:

I do wonder what would be a good or even defensive investment today. Inflation is sky high, sterling is rock bottom, FTSE is not doing well and a (possibly long and ugly) recession is just around the corner. 

Maybe sovereign? Although gold price is dropped over a year, but at a less extent than currency depreciation.  In current era, i believe losing less n preserve buying power for the future maybe the winner, so even holding cash is not a bad idea, coz i have no wisdom to beat the market.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sword said:

Recession around the corner? I think recession is already here.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 3:55 PM, 1949threepence said:

Remember that odd mini craze for 1974 sets a year or two back?   

What caused that?

6 hours ago, Mr T said:

What caused that?

Well if I recall correctly (and it was discussed on here at the time - I'll see if I can find the thread) it was to do with the fact that you could only see a 1974 fifty pence inside a proof set.

Peculiar logic as the same fact applied to 1975 sets and they weren't in the equation. Also 1972 as none of the coins in that set were ever issued for circulation.

ETA: Yes, here we are. Just scroll down to PWA1967's post of 21.8.20 and continue on from there - link to thread 

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Well if I recall correctly (and it was discussed on here at the time - I'll see if I can find the thread) it was to do with the fact that you could only see a 1974 fifty pence inside a proof set.

Peculiar logic as the same fact applied to 1975 sets and they weren't in the equation. Also 1972 as none of the coins in that set were ever issued for circulation.

ETA: Yes, here we are. Just scroll down to PWA1967's post of 21.8.20 and continue on from there - link to thread 

Thanks for that. Interesting discussion (several comments from @Paddy - he hasn't been on here for many months. Anyone heard from him, is he ok?).

• Like 1

Just now, Peckris 2 said:

Thanks for that. Interesting discussion (several comments from @Paddy - he hasn't been on here for many months. Anyone heard from him, is he ok?).

Chris, I too have wondered about Paddy. A great contributor to the forum, and easy to get on with.

I bought a coin off him once (gorgeous 1919 penny), and I had his e mail address. But unfortunately I' can no longer locate our e mail exchange. Otherwise I'd drop him an e mail to see how he is.

As you say, hope he's OK.

23 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Chris, I too have wondered about Paddy. A great contributor to the forum, and easy to get on with.

I bought a coin off him once (gorgeous 1919 penny), and I had his e mail address. But unfortunately I' can no longer locate our e mail exchange. Otherwise I'd drop him an e mail to see how he is.

He had a selection of 1909 pennies all Unc - I got in early and picked up one of the best of them. Perhaps he'll look by eventually and say hello - I remember I took a break for a year or two (mainly because most of the posts back then were about the awfulness of the GPO and certain auction houses, and less about coins!).

38 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

He had a selection of 1909 pennies all Unc - I got in early and picked up one of the best of them. Perhaps he'll look by eventually and say hello - I remember I took a break for a year or two (mainly because most of the posts back then were about the awfulness of the GPO and certain auction houses, and less about coins!).

Certainly hope he does.

I too took a break between about 2013 and 2015 because I was getting a bit fed up with certain things at the time. I remember you taking your break as well.

I actually bought the coin off his e bay account on 25.11.18, and received the coin 1.12.18 - posted on "Penny acquisition of the week". Looked through my hard copy receipts from the time, and found Paddy's ("pbowen24" was his e bay account). Only £19.95, and free postage. But neither his address nor e mail address are on there. So I honestly can't recall where I got his e mail address from. It's not in private messages because we didn't exchange any. Mystery. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.     

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I think you also wrote a number of articles for JN Coins on the coinage of George V during you period of absence from here. I very much enjoyed reading them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sword said:

I think you also wrote a number of articles for JN Coins on the coinage of George V during you period of absence from here. I very much enjoyed reading them. 

Thank you. :) I'm still fascinated by the subject of pennies between 1922 and 1926 - a lot of mystery to be cleared up!

On 9/20/2022 at 10:42 PM, Sword said:

Starting an arms factory and selling to Russia and the middle east would probably be very lucrative

13 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Starting an arms factory and selling to Russia and the middle east would probably be very lucrative

Sssshhhhhh!!!!!!....I haven't gone public yet......you'll scare off my other investors.........

On 9/22/2022 at 10:59 PM, Peckris 2 said:

On 9/22/2022 at 11:06 PM, 1949threepence said:

Quite by chance I came across Paddy on another forum (this one) - different username but same photo he used on here. I notice that he was last active there on 16.1.22, a day before he was last active on here, 17.1.22. 

Sadly one can only conclude that he either had an extremely abrupt and spectacular loss of interest in coins, or something has happened to him.

• Sad 1

That's rather worrying...