British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

NGC conservation problems

Not for the first time that their "conservation" has gone pear shaped 

89cd05ca-71c9-4c37-bf27-e545a71f5fb9.jpeg

Using laser to clean coins !!! | cleaning coins in few seconds with this new technology. - YouTube

Makes me wonder if they use this on some they clean / conserve to get rid of the crap and leave an even colour ,even though they are removing the top layer.

I have seen a couple recently that have come back much worse than they were sent for conservation and is daft that they reject them for being cleaned BUT think its ok if they do it.

On 9/17/2022 at 4:29 PM, Iannich48 said:

That one looks terrible. What are they doing?

I think there can be gaps between the brass rim and the inner nickel plated centre where some of the "cleaning" liquid can get in. The dirty liquid comes out after time and hence the problems. Looks like sending them these bimetallic coins for "conversation" isn't a good idea. 

Yes that appears so, although a series of one makes it hard to generalize. You may be on to something however.

I suppose the test would be to send them the silver £2 with gold plated rims where the whole coin is in one piece. If these come back with no issue, then it would confirm my suggestion. 

Can't say I am particularly enthusiastic about the idea of paying to "conserve" recent proofs though. 

11 hours ago, Sword said:

I think there can be gaps between the brass rim and the inner nickel plated centre where some of the "cleaning" liquid can get in. The dirty liquid comes out after time and hence the problems. Looks like sending them these bimetallic coins for "conversation" isn't a good idea. 

Its no just bi-metallic, there was last year a problem where an NGC affiliate had sent in about 70 odd silver proof 3 graces and about 70% of them came back with some sort of black spotting on the coins.NCS couldn't explain why, they just seemed to brush off the problem and of course took no responsibility