British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peckris 2

R.I.P. Queen Elizabeth

Farewell to our long lived and longest reigning monarch.

I'm no Royalist, far from it, but I had great respect for the Queen and her enormous achievement of public service. It's rather bizarre that in all my many decades of life, I've never known another monarch, yet now I must get used to King Charles. I will miss her in a strange way, as a level-headed and even-handed ruler, who nevertheless is known to have had a great sense of humour. Her smile gave that away.

I don't what else to say. Words are not enough.

Queen-Elizabeth-II.jpg

• Like 7

King George VI reigned for the first four and a half years of my life but I was never really aware. We had a coronation party at Infants' school when I was 5 and Queen Elizabeth has  been there ever since. Her passing has affected me more than I ever thought it would.

• Like 3

Most people in the country had only known one monarch. She had been the one unchanging comfort in our lives when so many things come and go. Always the voice of reason, dignity and compassion. It is indeed a real shock since we weren't aware of any serious health issues. 

• Like 1

So sad .......

I was born only weeks after she came to the throne. It's not only tragic but rather strange that she's no longer there.

Over 70 years of utterly dedicated service. Absolutely extraordinary.

Not once in that time has she ever let herself or the country down. Her conduct, honour and sheer decency were exemplary at all times.

I couldn't help thinking how very frail she looked on that photo with Liz Truss a couple of days ago. I think she knew the end was near, but was determined to fulfil that one last duty of accepting the resignation of Johnson and appointing Truss. 

RIP Your Majesty. How you will be mourned and missed.

Long Live the King.   

• Like 4

She leaves a huge void, I miss her.

RIP

• Like 1

I was 7  when the Coronation in in 1953 happened. Red white and blue everywhere. I can remember going to a local reserve called One tree Hill, at Honor Oak to watch the beacon being set alight. It was a cold cloudy and rainy day in June. It was also on  B & W TV where people  who didn't have a TV went to a neighbor to watch. Street parties and at school we were presented with a blue propelling pencil with a crown on it. Shortly afterwards all schools went to see the Queen drive through their suburb not that there was much to see as it was over in seconds. In my collection of Eagle comics the Coronation was marked by explanation of what was going on, maps of the route of the Queen would take to Westminster., the royal carriage  etc. Many years later I managed to buy a DVD of the Coronation  that was shot in color not a colorized version which was interesting as most of what you see is in B & W. It is always interesting to see genuine color footage from  the 30s. 40s and 50s as there is mostly B & W from that period. Let's hope King Charles iii doesn't loose his head and concentrates on being the head of state rather than a mad climate zealot.

• Like 1

I can not really fathom her being gone. I came to school in Cyprus at the Nicosia Middle School and remember that ubiquitous portrait that I (and probably others ) found so fetching. A young and healthy vivacious queen who has been in my heart ever since. God Rest The Queen! We send our Prayers and Love.

• Like 5

Missing her smile, missing her voice... respect her effort during the tough war when she was still a kid.  Let's pray there won't be another war after end of that generation...RIP

• Like 2

And don't forget the really hard times which she saw us through in the 20 years after the war and the doldrums of the 80s when it seemed the whole place was headed for the dumpster. Quiet strength and dignity meant a lot and still do. God Rest Her Soul!

• Like 1

it feels weird, hearing and seeing the king and charles III in announcements, we knew it was happen, but its so sudden

• Like 1

Rest in peace.

• Like 2

Thought I'd just post this photo as it is said to be one of the late Queen's favourites, showing her and the Duke of Edinburgh in the Scottish countryside. Given the length of time they were married the picture is relatively recent, having been taken in 2003. 

I also think the legend on the edge of the 1953 Crown is so apt: "Faith and truth I will bear unto you".

link

her majesty.jpg

• Like 6

I've been watching all the MPs' tributes all day. Not only moving, but - to prove her sense of humour - full of amusing anecdotes. My favourite was of someone being shown in to meet her at the Palace; to his absolute horror, his phone went off as he was being ushered forward. He managed to turn it off only for the Queen to say "Perhaps you should have answered that - it might have been someone important". :lol:

One slight twinge was when Chris Bryant (MP for Rhondda) said that his constituents would have seen her face constantly since 1953 when minting coins at Llantrisant. Oops.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I've been watching all the MPs' tributes all day. Not only moving, but - to prove her sense of humour - full of amusing anecdotes. My favourite was of someone being shown in to meet her at the Palace; to his absolute horror, his phone went off as he was being ushered forward. He managed to turn it off only for the Queen to say "Perhaps you should have answered that - it might have been someone important". :lol:

Brilliant!

I felt deflated this morning but do feel much better on reflection. No one's life is worth celebrating more. God has already granted the 70th anniversary celebrations earlier in the year, which meant so much to her and to the nation.

• Like 2