British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The Coin Realm

Norman Coin Identification and Restoration Advice

Hello Everyone,

I have this Norman looking penny which is currently broken into 4 pieces.

If anyone can help me identify as much about it as possible, I would be very grateful.

I was also wandering if it would be worth restoring the coin and if anyone knew who could do a restoration like this.

Thank you!

The Coin Realm

20220810_121141.jpg

20220810_121251.jpg

Edited by The Coin Realm

Mmm .. I'm struggling to put together the two largest pieces here I'm afraid, let alone ID, though it's not really my area.

large.20220810_121251.jpg.169686437b8f102d22590cd220446c98.jpg.7f2599a7a1a151a51b0b0026f7800be9.jpg

Stephen, Watford type?

Trouble is it's incomplete, so even though someone like Barry Sherlock might be able to do something with it, it's never going to be a complete coin. 

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I have also realised that the coin will never be complete, however I was just interested whether or not it would be worth putting whats there of the coin (80%) back together into one piece instead of having it in 4 chunks. 

Also you mentioned Barry Sherlock? Would it be possible to email him and ask for his opinion on restoring the coin? Do you by any chance have his contacts?

If it were complete Barry could use whatever reversible glue is currently acceptable for restoration. But incomplete he would have to build a 'new' coin. You'd have to decide whether you want details in the currently 'empty' areas or not. And in the end you'll have a coin that will be heavily restored.

So 'worth putting back together'? If it makes you happy, perhaps. Financially, not if you think it'll restore what you have to near the cost of a full coin. It might even devalue it in the eyes of some (people don't always appreciate restorations). But your choice in the end.

I don't have an email address for Barry but his number is 07541 853425 I understand.

It's crude enough to be a stephen penny

It looks like a Stafford Mint penny early Anglo Saxon or Norman see Spink 2017 p147

Edited by 1887jubilee
ommission

8 hours ago, The Coin Realm said:

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I have also realised that the coin will never be complete, however I was just interested whether or not it would be worth putting whats there of the coin (80%) back together into one piece instead of having it in 4 chunks. 

Also you mentioned Barry Sherlock? Would it be possible to email him and ask for his opinion on restoring the coin? Do you by any chance have his contacts?

7 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

If it were complete Barry could use whatever reversible glue is currently acceptable for restoration. But incomplete he would have to build a 'new' coin. You'd have to decide whether you want details in the currently 'empty' areas or not. And in the end you'll have a coin that will be heavily restored.

So 'worth putting back together'? If it makes you happy, perhaps. Financially, not if you think it'll restore what you have to near the cost of a full coin. It might even devalue it in the eyes of some (people don't always appreciate restorations). But your choice in the end.

I don't have an email address for Barry but his number is 07541 853425 I understand.

I agree. You need to ask yourself the reason for wanting to "restore" the coin. I cannot believe it make any financial sense to do so. The only reason I would consider spending money on it is if it has very strong sentimental value. Sentiment is priceless after all. You might even consider gluing it together yourself if you really want it in one piece and after you are satisfied that it doesn't have monetary value in its current state. 

• Like 1

I bought the coin for about £20, purely for the fact that if I ever wanted to own a Norman Penny, I simply would not be able to afford one.

In this case, I have no intention for financial gain or re-sell, I would simply love to have this coin back or at least some what back to its former glory.

The question raised from your replies, is very interesting. By restoring the coin would it hinder its originality, ruin the artifact. Or as i've seen in other cases, such as museums, they restore their coins and artifacts.

For example, an ancient greek vase, broken into many pieces. The Museum would piece the vase back together an add contemporary gap-fillers? 

Would the coins historical value decrease if I did the same?

Edited by The Coin Realm

"Would the coins historical value decrease if I did the same? "

No, not its historical value, especially what is personal to you. Obviously its actual monetary value will be severely affected.

Have you considered using a 2x2 self adhesive coin holder? It will keep the pieces together and you can see the coin in "one piece" through the window.

• Like 1

I think the thing is the museum's vase will nowadays be 'restored' in a way that's completely reversible.

Unless someone like Barry makes individual pieces to fit into the jigsaw of your coin and then glues it all together a 'restoration' will involve metalwork. If you had infinite resources you could get the gaps filled in gold to make clear the original pieces but the cost might be more than you want to pay!

However, I'm pretty sure Barry can make the pieces into one item if that will please you - though probably it'll cost more than you paid for the pieces - with one proviso. Personally I'm not 100% the two larger pieces are from the same coin as I can't get the obverse to match up when the reverse is aligned. Though I admit I don't have them in the hand and digitally moving them around isn't easy. Maybe pop the two pieces on some sellotape? If you can't get them to really match no amount of restoration will do any better.