British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sword

LCA catalogue now online

Well i won two lots at the weekend, both well below my top price that i submitted. Missed out on one other, but happy with the two.

• Like 4

I bought 2 lots as well, n lost others.  The successful lots were 4-5 steps below my max bid this time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

Well i won two lots at the weekend, both well below my top price that i submitted. Missed out on one other, but happy with the two.

31 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I bought 2 lots as well, n lost others.  The successful lots were 4-5 steps below my max bid this time.

Good to know.

Well done both on your won lots.

• Like 3

I didn't get the lot I was interested in. Only out by a factor of 6x. :blink:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

On 8/15/2022 at 12:07 PM, TomGoodheart said:

London Coins? The people I paid for a subscription to their auction catalogue and, despite several reminders, never received any? Pft. Are they still going?

I wonder why they still bother about printing a catalogue now that the auction is essentially postal. The online version is good enough for nearly everyone and saving the printing money must be attractive to them.

1 hour ago, Sword said:

I wonder why they still bother about printing a catalogue now that the auction is essentially postal. The online version is good enough for nearly everyone and saving the printing money must be attractive to them.

It's useful in seeing at a glance what remains unsold post auction. So that if it's something you like you can call them and make a bid at the lower estimate.

You can make notes beforehand, but the catalogue saves you the bother.

In fairness, it's actually very well produced    

I bought 3 coins from them and haven't had delivery yet.  How long does it take them to sort things out. 

1 hour ago, zzag said:

How long does it take them to sort things out. 

They're usually pretty quick. Have you received their invoice and paid it ?

Yeah i paid last week.  I just rang them up a few minutes ago.  A woman answered, she was very helpful.  She said they are behind as there was a postal strike last week. Makes sense they wouldn't want to send coins out when there is a strike.  Anyway she asked for my code,  my package will be sorted and sent out tomorrow.   

• Like 2

It often takes them maybe two weeks to deliver. I paid last week and have not seen the coins yet, but it is not a problem.

• Like 1

After several emails in past week, they finally despatch my items today...

I just encountered an unhappy experience with LCA.  For somehow reason, i didn't open the items from Jun auction until the past week.  I found the proof coin capsule is wrapped with Scotch tape.  I asked Semra what's the reason behind since it's not mentioned in catalogue.  She said it must be damaged during shipment.  However, the outer packaging of the package was all good, and it's the capsule inside the Royal Mint case wrapped with tape, so I doubt it's made during the postage.  Since the postage is already received few months ago, I think I can do nothing but to accept it.

47 minutes ago, Bruce said:

After several emails in past week, they finally despatch my items today...

I just encountered an unhappy experience with LCA.  For somehow reason, i didn't open the items from Jun auction until the past week.  I found the proof coin capsule is wrapped with Scotch tape.  I asked Semra what's the reason behind since it's not mentioned in catalogue.  She said it must be damaged during shipment.  However, the outer packaging of the package was all good, and it's the capsule inside the Royal Mint case wrapped with tape, so I doubt it's made during the postage.  Since the postage is already received few months ago, I think I can do nothing but to accept it.

Wonder what the long delay was all about. OK, so you live overseas, but that shouldn't affect posting dates.

With regard to the capsule being wrapped in Scotch Tape, I find that inexplicable. I've had soft fabric round a coin, and that soft fabric wrapped in tape. But not the  envelope or slab itself. As you rightly point out, you'd know immediately if the outer package had been tampered with, and the fact it was undamaged suggests the wrapping took place at LCA.    

• Like 1

I would like to learn, in case if i discover the Scotch Tape proof coin earlier (due to capsule unable to screw) n have picture proof n the auction catalogue didn't mention it, is it possible to refuse acceptance of the auction items?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I would like to learn, in case if i discover the Scotch Tape proof coin earlier (due to capsule unable to screw) n have picture proof n the auction catalogue didn't mention it, is it possible to refuse acceptance of the auction items?

Yes, i think if they arrive damaged in some way, and it's not the fault of the postage/delivery process, then you'd have a good case. It would be quite deleterious to the reputation of any auction house if they refused to accept the affected coin back. In this instance the only thing that might go against you, in mitigation, is the length of time you've left the item unopened.

What is the condition of the coin itself?

Can the capsule be cleaned if necessary?

3 hours ago, Bruce said:

Their T&C does state that "28 days after the sale our books are closed and no refunds will be made for any reason, and no returns accepted." Hence, I think you have passed the window of returns.

Otherwise, I agree with Mike that it would be very bad for their reputation not to accept the coin in the damaged capsule. Although auction houses are not obliged to describe every imperfections (and esp to the case and capsule), ignoring complains of this type would again cost them in reputation.

I once brought a slabbed coin and the cracks on the plastic slabs were not mentioned. I never brought from them again.

21 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, i think if they arrive damaged in some way, and it's not the fault of the postage/delivery process, then you'd have a good case. It would be quite deleterious to the reputation of any auction house if they refused to accept the affected coin back. In this instance the only thing that might go against you, in mitigation, is the length of time you've left the item unopened.

What is the condition of the coin itself?

Can the capsule be cleaned if necessary?

I'm afraid the coin is impaired.

2~3.jpg

Edited by Bruce

21 hours ago, Sword said:

Their T&C does state that "28 days after the sale our books are closed and no refunds will be made for any reason, and no returns accepted." Hence, I think you have passed the window of returns.

Otherwise, I agree with Mike that it would be very bad for their reputation not to accept the coin in the damaged capsule. Although auction houses are not obliged to describe every imperfections (and esp to the case and capsule), ignoring complains of this type would again cost them in reputation.

I once brought a slabbed coin and the cracks on the plastic slabs were not mentioned. I never brought from them again.

It is not yet 28 days since the last LCA Auction quite yet, as it was on the 4th of Septmber, so all is not lost.

Edited by Iannich48

8 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

It is not yet 28 days since the last LCA Auction quite yet, as it was on the 4th of Septmber, so all is not lost.

It's from auction in jun, the items in sep were only despatched few days ago from LCA.  I will send email to Semra again to see what she thinks.  Thanks all for your comment n advice.

No idea why, but this is their first time to delay so long for postage, usually they send out items within 2 weeks after auction.  However, i prefer delay rather than damage, if i have option😅.

Just received an invoice from LCA, again and again, i am so accurate in bidding at LCA😅😅.  6 out of 8 are with my max bid, 1 is only 1 step away.  The remaining one which is a medal is few steps away.  I think I should be more conservative (which already) in bidding next time.  

• Like 1

I've not done too badly this time, with a £500 bid going for £190 hammer, and a £600 bid going for £440.

Looking through the sales, one of the highlights has to be the slabbed MS66 1934 crown fetching £14,500 hammer. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I've not done too badly this time, with a £500 bid going for £190 hammer, and a £600 bid going for £440.

Looking through the sales, one of the highlights has to be the slabbed MS66 1934 crown fetching £14,500 hammer. 

Congratulations, well done.

• Like 1