British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Bernie

Victoria Bronze Halfpennies R19 wanted

Willing to pay cash or exchange for other extremely rare varieties. Strangely enough, collectors who have such rare coins sometimes manage to get more than one example !

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 5:55 PM, Bernie said:

Willing to pay cash or exchange for other extremely rare varieties. Strangely enough, collectors who have such rare coins sometimes manage to get more than one example !

That baffles me too - if they manage to track down an upgrade, you'd think they would be generous enough to make the first example available to other collectors.

• Like 1

It's possible that they really paid over the odds to get their first example and then want to wait a while for inflation to raise prices before they sell ?

My problem is that I cannot find out who owns these elusive coins. No collector that I know of owns these coins, but I often hear stories from collectors that they have heard of others that hold multiple examples. In the 1990's I advertised widely that I was searching for some of the elusive bronze pennies. I had very little luck and until later surveys were compiled, I couldn't believe that the amount of these rarities actually existed. Since wide use of the internet, coin forums etc, it was almost impossible to assess the true rarity of coins. I must admit, I am a bit guilty of holding duplicate coins, I don't need money fortunately, but hoping that trading may be the answer to obtaining the coins that I require.

Have you a list of coins that you are looking for, just out of interest? Somebody may have something for sale.

Half pennies sometimes seem to be the poor relative of the Bronze world many of the errors I have started to list on the half penny variety thread.  Some have been previously identified but I think there are others that are still to be found.  I have started with my 1860's I admit to having at least two for my own desire to verify it as an error variety.  But I am always happy to sell some for the charity.  

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this