British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
The Coin Realm

New Youtube Channel, History of Coins!

Hello everyone!

I am a huge fan of coins and I love the history they hold. I am new to the forum and currently I do not have a coin collection but still wanted to make videos on Youtube!

Great for anyone who loves coins or those just wanting to learn a bit of history!

If you guys have any suggestions or ideas about future videos, they are most welcome! 

History told by those who saw it all...Coins!

The Coin Realm 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP6Fl8VdnJlBwkqbXhBbfJQ

Nice idea!

What might help though, is to understand who you're aiming these at? If new collectors who already know the basics of terminology etc, then it's a potential winner. There are so many iconic coins you could cover:

- the 1933 penny story

- the Gothic portrait of Victoria

- William and Mary > William III

- trade tokens pre-1797

- the Great Recoinage of silver in 1816, and how the sizes of silver coins remained constant until decimalisation

- Maundy Money

- the Edward VII florin

- proof sets before decimalisation

- the 1951 Festival of Britain crown

- the Churchill crown

and so on.

However, you might also want to do a video for complete beginners, defining such terms as 'obverse' 'reverse' 'legend' 'proof' etc, and emphasizing the importance of condition, rarity, and popularity (the holy trinity of factors affecting coin values).

Good luck and I hope to see many more.

• Like 2

Just one more thing:

You might want to handle coins only by the edges. With the older and toned coins you're doing, it matters less, but with uncirculated coins it's the best way to put fingerprints on the coin; and do it enough times and you will begin to see slight wear as well.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your advice!

I definitely will try and cover the 'iconic' coins and try and find some gloves to put on when I do so! 😂

Your comments have given me a lot of ideas and thoughts and I really appreciate it.

Thank you so much once again!

The Coin Realm

A possibility could be on how coins were minted during the past millennium. From hammered to screw press to modern times. Some museums have dies and reducing machines etc on display and might be happy for you to make a non commercial video if you ask them.