British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

1953 5 Shillings Edge Letters

Sorry if this was discussed before.  For the edge incused letters of 1953 5 Shillings, there is 2 types, obverse up and reverse up, may i know if any statistics about numbers of each type and its correlation with different reverses? Or is it too common n worthless to do so?

Ah, Bruce, none that I know - I thought you were going to broach the subject of edge letter varieties. Recently for sale at auction was the "Hip Hop" variety:      .....RENDER UNTO YO

I have a specimen with virtually the entire edge lettering offset, basically struck twice into the edge. As far as up or down orientation, there would be no value assigned and probably be near to 50-50....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Ah, Bruce, none that I know - I thought you were going to broach the subject of edge letter varieties. Recently for sale at auction was the "Hip Hop" variety:      .....RENDER UNTO YO

I have a specimen with virtually the entire edge lettering offset, basically struck twice into the edge. As far as up or down orientation, there would be no value assigned and probably be near to 50-50....

Got it, i think it is almost 50:50 as well, so that it is not talked about in the past. 

18 hours ago, Bruce said:

Got it, i think it is almost 50:50 as well, so that it is not talked about in the past. 

It's not talked about because it's simply a random thing, and not a variety as such.

• Like 1