British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
JohnT

1908 Sovereign

Hello 

just taken a full sovereign ring in and was concerned about the date stamps. Weighs and measures what it should and passes the ping test. 
The 1 looks more like a 7, the 9 doesn’t look right, the 0 looks like it’s been stamped on another number and the 8 doesn’t look good either.

No mint mark I can see and in checking the 1908 Ontario mint is very rare (R6) so I suppose someone could have altered the date even though no C mark for Canada 

Thoughts please 

3E71A034-00DE-4A06-9FDF-8E76F70A5F7C.jpeg

does not look right , though i am no expert

Yes the date doesn't look right, not does the rim.

Not much else to go on, but the date suspect. This looks a bit like some of the Beirut 1970's struck coins that were of good metal but fabricated with some issues similar to what has been shown. Weight of coin? Gold purity was good and from what I have heard on occasion exceeding 22k.

• Like 1

If my memory serves me correctly the following would probably provide the most plausible explanation.

I seem to recall reading about copies of coins made for jewelry purposes that were of the proper gold content. They were adequate for the purpose of the wearer but would not fool a collector or dealer.

If you placed them side by side and examined them you could and would see the difference. However, if you simply did a gold content test they would match. Oftentimes they would be bought alongside genuine coins for melt.

I have seen bracelets and necklaces with these type copies. They included  British sovereigns, US $20 & $10 (necklaces), and $5 & $2 1/2 (bracelets,  cufflinks  & rings. Also Austrian 20 (not sure of the denomination) Ducats,, French 20 Francs, and Mexican 50 Pesos.

• Like 2

It looks bad to me.  All the date looks wrong.  Ill have a look. 

I got a 1908 sovereign out to check all the date numbers are wrong.  as i thought. 

IN my experience the coin will either be 22k 20k  or even 15k .  

fake

Fake indeed.

11 hours ago, andyscouse said:

Fake indeed.

blue or red?