British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Why Do I Bother With Spink? Where is the Wootton Sale?

Okay, I confess to checking Spink's auctions even though I buy precious little these days from them. The latest fandango is their "Wootton" Sale. This thing is one of those date range sales that was supposed to open 7 June and then close 3 weeks later on the 28th. Well, it is the 12th today and is not accessible. But more than that  is the content of their sales lately - so very disappointed at the offerings even in areas not in my focus. What the heck has happened? 

They still seem to get some marquee pieces here or there in the preposterous price range but not the collector coins that I (we) seem to prefer. Oh well, just a lament as they had helped out so much "back in the day" with getting the core of my collection launched. Sorry for the rant.....

5 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Okay, I confess to checking Spink's auctions even though I buy precious little these days from them. The latest fandango is their "Wootton" Sale. This thing is one of those date range sales that was supposed to open 7 June and then close 3 weeks later on the 28th. Well, it is the 12th today and is not accessible. But more than that  is the content of their sales lately - so very disappointed at the offerings even in areas not in my focus. What the heck has happened? 

They still seem to get some marquee pieces here or there in the preposterous price range but not the collector coins that I (we) seem to prefer. Oh well, just a lament as they had helped out so much "back in the day" with getting the core of my collection launched. Sorry for the rant.....

Yes, as you say it should have started 5 days ago on 7th June, but it's still greyed out. Not good and doesn't inspire confidence.

I've not seen anything of interest on their website for a very long time.  

8 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I think it will be delayed, as it is too close to the shilling, sixpence n maundy one on 27th.  I guess that's why it is greyed out.  Wait for new date to be set n announced.

No doubt. But I really have been unhappy with the quality of the coins on sale of late as so many have been cleaned, wiped, etc. I really used to get so excited at every publication of the SNC and their auctions (I remember paying at the time what I thought were fancy prices and only wish those times could be had again).

• Like 1

Thanks! I will take a look as well...

• Like 1

index.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, copper123 said:

index.jpg

We're all certifiable on here then.......

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 10:16 PM, 1949threepence said:

Yes, as you say it should have started 5 days ago on 7th June, but it's still greyed out. Not good and doesn't inspire confidence.

I've not seen anything of interest on their website for a very long time.  

Spink are always doing that - put a teaser date on a forthcoming auction then either keep on putting it back every few days or don't even bother. It's annoying.

Some of these auctions are like their SNC "Collectors Corner" quality (which lasted a  couple of years about 20 years ago), selling items for £5 upwards. Junk mainly.

Talking of gilding the lily, I like their description of the Northumberland in the Wootton sale. It's got worn gilding, it's low grade and there's an impressively large hole in it. Apart from that it's 

"a good opportunity for a type collector to source a prohibitively rare type".

If you say so!

• Haha 2

More disappointment there for me at least....

Love the Einstein quote & sometimes find myself questioning my coin sanity!

18 hours ago, copper123 said:

index.jpg

4 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Clearly Einstein didn't understand quantum mechanics!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

Clearly Einstein didn't understand quantum mechanics!!

I know what a quantum capsule is, but that is not really what Einstein meant.

9 hours ago, secret santa said:

Does anyone ???????

Dr Heisenberg might have been a member of this forum.....

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Dr Heisenberg might have been a member of this forum.....

Are you certain about this ?

• Haha 2

Erwin Schrödinger both was and wasn't a forum member...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

Erwin Schrödinger both was and wasn't a forum member...

Rather catty ............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, secret santa said:

Rather catty ............

Or not...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1