British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

just.me

F38 having 2 different obverse dies

Looking the 2 examples of my F38 1862 mules, although low grade, I had noted that the 2 obverse’s were from different dies. On one, the V in VIC is close to the linear circle, while on the other it is noticeably further away from the circle. I checked the specimens pictured on Richards site and both types are there to be seen in better condition. 

2DACF9CB-1616-4111-BC0E-F8219801ADE6.jpeg

88FF59AD-A33A-4D3E-8586-8603BEDA1309.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s the reverses, files were too big to add to original post. 

B21A72B2-8745-45A1-A065-9237B5BD3C06.jpeg

737FB8F2-872C-4F25-916E-A012F08B572F.jpeg

Your right , but they also have different reverses , as they both have a different date width .  The first has the 2 over the tooth [12 tooth width] , the other its positioned over the gap between the teeth and narrower [11.5 tooth]  .

I'll add your coin pics to my website. Would you like me to credit you by name ?

7 hours ago, secret santa said:

I'll add your coin pics to my website. Would you like me to credit you by name ?

Thanks, just AT would be preferred again please.

Edited by just.me

Just for the record,

Satin (John Jerrams), in his reference guide, acknowledges 2 die pairings for the S-38 (F-38).

I can only find a mention of an 1862 penny on page 31 which he describes as "as for Number 38" with 2 struck over 1, and which "should be included as Satin 38A", but none of the 1862 2 over 1 examples that I've seen are the F38 die pairing. I'm not sure that John is correct here.

Or have I missed something ?

52 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I can only find a mention of an 1862 penny on page 31 which he describes as "as for Number 38" with 2 struck over 1, and which "should be included as Satin 38A", but none of the 1862 2 over 1 examples that I've seen are the F38 die pairing. I'm not sure that John is correct here.

Or have I missed something ?

I don't have the book with me right now, but I'm referring to the S-38 (F-38) obverse 2, reverse g.  Throughout the book, he lists (current information at the time it was published), known specimens,  known die pairings, finest known, estimated values, etc.

When I get home I'll try to post an image.

I don't think that he goes into the number of die pairings found for any given variety but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

I don't think that he goes into the number of die pairings found for any given variety but I'm willing to be

wrong.

I forgot I had a scan of Satin on my phone.

Screenshot_20220611-154326_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20220611-154444_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Like 2

Ah yes, I hadn't recalled that or even seen it when looking through it last night - I bow to your superior knowledge, Gary 😡

10 hours ago, secret santa said:

Ah yes, I hadn't recalled that or even seen it when looking through it last night - I bow to your superior knowledge, Gary 😡

Don't necessarily blame yourself Richard. I was using what I believe to be the 3rd and final edition from 2003.  I don't know what edition that you have. I don't think that particular information was in the earlier editions from 1999 and 2001. At least I looked fast in the 2001 edition but couldn't find it. Of course it was late and I was tired, so I could have missed it.

Screenshot_20220612-033633_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

Nice one Gary 👍 It must be an earlier version I have a photocopy of, I can’t recall that info page. Most of my coins and books are stored away so I can’t check. 

On 6/11/2022 at 4:15 AM, terrysoldpennies said:

Your right , but they also have different reverses , as they both have a different date width .  The first has the 2 over the tooth [12 tooth width] , the other its positioned over the gap between the teeth and narrower [11.5 tooth]  .

I'm a bit confused - 2+G, 3+G and 6+G are the known die pairings for 1862 right? Reverse G obviously has a number of different date spacings, but the obverses don't vary do they?

This was a little while back , so as I remember it, It was about the 1862  2+G only, and it showed that there were at leased two reverse G dies used with the obverse 2 die [ It could be that only one obverse die was used , and retooled to give a new outer circle line ] .      With such a rare combination  [ 2+G ] it was likely that only one reverse die would have been used in combination with die 2 , but this date variation shows that there were indeed two dies used .

• Like 1

If a die was used until deemed unsuitable and if only the faulty die was exchanged, it stands to reason that more than one die will be known paired with a specific die. A good job really, as the pairings observed give useful information for the chronology, and in the case of a simple series can demonstrate the order of die use from start to finish. 

• Like 1

Ah understood - thanks.