British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

BCW AN-1 Elizabeth Halfpenny

A decent enough example of this rare mark.  Only 60,000 ever produced (BCW), divided between PM O and PM Anchor, so few and far between today - roughly the weight of 3 bags of sugar were minted. 

Paid around half the price you would for a common variety, so delighted really :) 

E6C57D1F-F4D0-4F3F-AB57-A36910277682.jpeg

75FD9BB3-5962-48B6-8B5A-0DE7DC816C7B.jpeg

• Like 2

That's all right. :)

I think this is the same obverse die as the Cypher over Anchor I got from you. Different reverse though.

9 hours ago, Rob said:

That's all right. :)

I think this is the same obverse die as the Cypher over Anchor I got from you. Different reverse though.

:)

I notice the cypher over anchor is still the only overmark missing in the halfpenny section of BCW’s 2021 memorial update. Amazing that they’d never come across one…hens’ teeth and all that!

Just had another look at your one, the anchor is set further right on yours!

Yes, but the portcullis is double struck (at least). Use the translated strike and it is in the right place. The question is which bit refers to which impression - which is why I said 'I think' 

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Yes, but the portcullis is double struck (at least). Use the translated strike and it is in the right place. The question is which bit refers to which impression - which is why I said 'I think' 

Ah, yes, I see what you mean!

I found a template I made up for the portcullises whilst looking out your coin. Very useful for spotting some of the counterfeits.

B0773C4D-FFAE-47E2-80FF-D4C4FA42AFAC.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s an example in the bottom right of one coin that didn’t correlate with the template. It has larger rings on the ‘chains’ too. BCW state there’s only one portcullis punch, meaning either  they are wrong or the ‘no mark’ coin is suspect? OR they refreshed the bolts as the punch broke up and started to spread?

39EFA2FF-D6E8-46C1-A5CE-A0AAF81BA99A.jpeg

Edited by Coinery