British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Elizabeth Halfpenny, good or wrong?

What’s your thoughts of these seller pictures, shadow or thick? When looking at both sides, it appears the shadow/thickness continues around the entire coin?

A534D556-CB14-4CDA-89C9-6DE2AFE4F24E.jpeg

ED4F9EF1-5B61-4AB5-A5FD-56271463C251.jpeg

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

My vote is thick

Yes, I’m thinking to cast such a sharp shadow (if it is) that the lighting would have to be really bright, and it doesn’t look to be, when taking the exposure of the coin’s surfaces into account?

The shadow sharpness is a function of the distance from the light source and the angular size of the light source.

A very small  light source will cast as sharp a shadow as bright sunlight.....it doesn't have to be bright at all....

That shadow is the shape I expect, and the fact that it is the same when the coin is either way up shows me the coin isn't bent either....

The shadow's thickness would only be a concern if this coin is usually thin.

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

The shadow sharpness is a function of the distance from the light source and the angular size of the light source.

A very small  light source will cast as sharp a shadow as bright sunlight.....it doesn't have to be bright at all....

That shadow is the shape I expect, and the fact that it is the same when the coin is either way up shows me the coin isn't bent either....

My example of this type - mintmark key, is very thin, if this helps at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Yes, these coins are usually paper thin. A thick coin would not be good.

I don’t think we can actually tell from the photos- just that the coin is not lying absolutely flat. The shadow does seem variable. Otherwise the coin does not look cast- and don’t forget how tiny these coins are, the detail is considerably magnified.

Jerry

I ended up in balance of all things thinking this was wrong and left well alone. There was a time I would’ve bought it, simply to find out…but not any more.