British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Lotad

2013 Prince George £5 silver proof - different dies or die states?

I have two 2013 Birth of Prince George £5 silver proof coins and I noticed a difference of the horse’s tail between them both. 

I wondered if this was evidence of a different dies or different stages of a die, or something else?

The first coin (highlighted with red). The horse’s tail shows less separation of the hair strands at the end, whereas the second coin is more divided to a higher point. 

The second pair of photos show some more minor differences, but I only noticed these with the extra magnification. The easiest to spot was difference in George’s foot, the first coin shows quite a chubby foot compared to the second. There was also a difference between the dragon’s wing membrane. The first coin is softer/curvier with a ridge along the edge of membrane. Whereas the second coin has a spikier overall appearance. 

8A7A5AC6-8D6C-4719-BB5E-47778566A273.jpeg

FC2658E1-B340-4448-9BC9-A6C11F934579.jpeg

3AA57BEE-A9A4-4C25-9D5B-455A3413EB42.jpeg

11A10B88-9656-49A6-91F0-E410E170695C.jpeg

• Like 1

The dies have had the fields polished to differing degrees. The greater the percentage of field visible, the more it has been polished, and the corresponding reduction in peripheral relief detail is clear.

• Like 2

Well spotted.