British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

DNW changing names.....?

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

If you click on Auction Archive and then Featured Collections, an error page comes up - they've clearly made no attempt to correct this in the 2 weeks that I mentioned it to them.

It's working for me now.

Sorry, you are right. Only past catalogues are available but not featured collections.

I can get into featured collections now, and into the individual collections therein. But somewhat bizarrely, some of the coin pictures are missing.

Here's a link to the 2006 Laurie Bamford collection:-

https://www.noonans.co.uk/auctions/archive/special-collections/162/

Well, they quoted the excellence of their website and its exhaustive arichies as a reason for increasing their premium last time, so by that logic looks like they'll have to reduce it now.

It never works like that does it.....

• Haha 1

"Sitting on a park bench , eyeing little coins with bad intent"

index.jpg

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I can get into featured collections now, and into the individual collections therein.

Yes, I got there by clicking on Auctions, then going down to Special Collections, clicking on "FILTER" and entering "Bamford" into the KEYWORD field and clicking on Search.

But on the Home page, if you click on Auctions and then click on "Archive", you get the option to click on "Featured Collections" (not Special Collections !) and if you click on Featured Collections, you get the error page. It's a real dog's dinner.

Yesterday was my first time to participate in Noonans auction since their revamp in webpages, but i found no voice n video was available during live bid through my android cell phone.  In PC, it's totally fine.  Am i missed anything in setting?

By the way, price seems up again, 1897 jubilee silver medal with case was hammered at over 200, n some other gothic florins at over 500, 600 as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruce said:

Yesterday was my first time to participate in Noonans auction since their revamp in webpages, but i found no voice n video was available during live bid through my android cell phone.  In PC, it's totally fine.  Am i missed anything in setting?

By the way, price seems up again, 1897 jubilee silver medal with case was hammered at over 200, n some other gothic florins at over 500, 600 as well.

Not sure about the live technicalities Bruce. Not listened in to one of their auctions since October last year. 

I agree with you about rising coin prices though. There's also a bit of a strange phenomenon emerging whereby you can get a given coin for a lower price when it's been sitting with a dealer at the same unaltered price for a few years, than you can if that same coin were to offered at an auction house. Especially with added buyer's premium. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bruce said:

Which medal was that - the large size of the one with Young Head on one side, and Old Head on the other?

Wow. I bought that for a fairly modest price 20 odd years ago, certainly nowhere near 3 figures.

• Like 1

lovely medal , but a bit overpriced , still its quality , very few around look like that now

46 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Wow. I bought that for a fairly modest price 20 odd years ago, certainly nowhere near 3 figures.

Ah, grasshopper, none more truly spoke. Unfortunately, we have seen the market go crazy and lets not even go there with high grade specimens!

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Ah, grasshopper, none more truly spoke. Unfortunately, we have seen the market go crazy and lets not even go there with high grade specimens!

Something to do with a jubilee I think LOL.

Buy in a couple of years if you wanna avoid the hype.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Something to do with a jubilee I think LOL.

Buy in a couple of years if you wanna avoid the hype.

Good point. It was the same with 1951 Crowns in 2001.

7 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I only have a small silver one in RM paper envelope, a lovely small piece.  A bit regret not to have a large one before right now😅😅

5 hours ago, Bruce said:

I only have a small silver one in RM paper envelope, a lovely small piece.  A bit regret not to have a large one before right now😅😅

I agree with Copper that the current spike in price is temporary. It was selling for much less previously. I have never got round to getting one. The big medal take up rather too much space for me. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 7:55 AM, Sword said:

I agree with Copper that the current spike in price is temporary. It was selling for much less previously. I have never got round to getting one. The big medal take up rather too much space for me. 

Agreed - I only have a few, and bought that one 1) because it was in a lot with other coins and 2) it's rather a fine design.

36 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Agreed - I only have a few, and bought that one 1) because it was in a lot with other coins and 2) it's rather a fine design.

It is .....

• Like 1

They do make a real effort in those days for coronation / jubilee medals. All of them were attractively designed (except for the 1935 reverse which I am not a fan of). I do particularly like the 1902 showing the majestic portraits of  KE VII and Queen Alexandra. I remember my Art teacher telling me that the reason Queen Alexandra wore pearl choker necklaces was to hide a small scar on her neck. The matt proof finish on the 1902 and 1935 was a nice touch too. 

Sword - not aware of a matte 1935??

11 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Sword - not aware of a matte 1935??

Perhaps he means the specimen?

• Thanks 1

I did meant the matt specimen. But what exactly is the difference between a matt "specimen" and matt "proof"?

23 minutes ago, Sword said:

I did meant the matt specimen. But what exactly is the difference between a matt "specimen" and matt "proof"?

Proofs are usually double struck to give a crisper and more defined finish. I'm not sure about specimens - perhaps single struck but using the same dies as proofs? Not sure.