British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Glamour Shots: 1853 PT

I had to share these, and courtesy of Richard am able to & the lustre in hand is really wonderful albeit the coin a bit softly struck:

image.png.95d8353d856101686fea6a9cbd4e86fc.png

• Like 5

A choice piece of a coin which is rare anyway, but in that high grade, very rare. Really nice, well done. 

The PT 1853 is even rarer still with an italic date.

You might be interested in Ian's post from January 2021 regarding stats for 1853 pennies - here     

• Like 1

Ah thanks, when I saw it for sale I had to jump. Sadly, where we live the humidity is not kind to copper and so some of the "redness" has subdued. The lustre however is astonishing. Yes, wish it was the italic date/number 5.

12 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Ah thanks, when I saw it for sale I had to jump. Sadly, where we live the humidity is not kind to copper and so some of the "redness" has subdued. The lustre however is astonishing. Yes, wish it was the italic date/number 5.

Here's mine, bought DNW auction Sept 2008 - quite a steep price (£260 hammer), and good lustre on the obverse, but a dark reverse. 

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?lot_uid=158753

DNW's photography is somewhat flattering to the reverse!

Edited by oldcopper
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, oldcopper said:

Here's mine, bought DNW auction Sept 2008

That's a lovely one !

• Like 1