British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Elizabeth Scallop Shilling

I realise on strict grading this is at best a ‘fine/good fine’ coin but, overall, I think it a really worthy Shilling, being centrally struck on a decent round flan, and with a good balance of strike and wear to add to its overall eye-appeal! 
I bloody love it, and thank James Tout for keeping this one aside for me.

0F190113-484C-441F-B301-F69EB4EF31EB.jpeg

Edited by Coinery

Much MUCH better in-hand, on a huge flan…extremely happy! An absolute bargain at £200 delivered!

• Like 1

Only just noticed ‘scallop’ in the title…either too much beer at the time or autocorrect, not sure which, maybe both :D

• Haha 1

It's easy to understand why you love it. The legend is very well struck in particular and I like the triple struck "R" on the obverse. Very nice toning too. 😀

• Like 1

Is there some tooling on the obverse or is it just me???

REV is just amazing

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sword said:

It's easy to understand why you love it. The legend is very well struck in particular and I like the triple struck "R" on the obverse. Very nice toning too. 😀

Yes, it’s just so well balanced, nothing more worn than the other, and enough of a bust (again even wear) for the grade that it makes a really pretty picture for me! Plus, as you say, the beginnings of a nice old tone :)

Edited by Coinery

57 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Is there some tooling on the obverse or is it just me???

REV is just amazing

Just had another closer look…I can’t see any tooling myself? Where in particular do you mean? At £200 I did buy it with hearts in my eyes, so always easy to miss these things :)

A really good example of what I mean by balance and even wear in this £350 offering of the same coin from eBay. Even though some of the bust is better, I know which is the better coin by far!

For want of a better word I’d call it ‘raggy’ by comparison, if you know what I mean?

And another example of better details but in its entirety a lesser coin! EBay an unrealistic £345 for this PM A

9135096B-2B4F-40F7-94BE-BE30E3FCE324.jpeg

A40C7BC6-4CEF-4CB3-87FD-176544D31CEA.jpeg

Edited by Coinery