British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

1953 Farthing

Having looked at the picture of this one numerous times a few days ago i have now found to the best of my knowledge that the Reverse die is unrecorded ,other than being used for the VIP set.

I was told months ago that the coins for the 1953 VIP set and not just the penny were struck from different dies and this clear picture of a farthing is one.

Its not REV A or B.

F to GAP  I to TOOTH ,possibly longer teeth also though not 100% sure on that one.

obverse farthing.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 6

Pete it looks very much like the reverse C found on the 1954 with the F in FARTHING to the gap, and as you say is not listed for 1953 . one other noticeable difference is the outer rim is much wider than the A or B. It also looks to be in Cameo with polished field and frosted images .    Well done great discovery 

Edited by terrysoldpennies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've just check out all the wren Rev. and -     Edward viii and George vi  Reverse A , same as Elizabeth ii  1953  Reverse A  -  Has narrow rim   80 teeth

1953 Reverse  B  -  Has narrow rim   79 teeth 

1954  Reverse  C -  Has  wide Rim    76 teeth

1955  Reverse  D -  Has  narrow rim   76 teeth

Some years after this reuse these four reverses , But Your New find VIP proof has -                                   1953  Unlisted  Wide Rim  77 teeth    not used as far as i can tell on any other year !

• Like 2

Shows it can be done and on the 70th aniversary as well , many congrats

Edited by copper123
  • Thanks 1

That definitely looks like a new 1953 reverse, presumably from a VIP set?

This coin and two other ‘VIP’ 1953 farthings are listed in LCA past sales, but only this one appears to have the new reverse. 

A rarity indeed.

Jerry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jelida said:

This coin and two other ‘VIP’ 1953 farthings are listed in LCA past sales, but only this one appears to have the new reverse. 

A rarity indeed.

Jerry

Yes i have seen a picture of another one the same as above , that was also attributed as 1953 VIP Proof 1+B.

Nice find - I didn't think there would be any new farthing discoveries at this point, least of all in the Elizabeth II series.

• Like 1

Oh, and it's paired with both obverse 1 and obverse 2 as well? Is there a picture of it paired with obverse 1?

8 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Oh, and it's paired with both obverse 1 and obverse 2 as well? Is there a picture of it paired with obverse 1?

No ,they are ones wrongly attributed and just obverse 2 i think...................Unless you can find one 😀

• Like 1

Related to this coin - I assume the number of VIP proof sets struck is unknown but I'm guessing dozens at most? Some searching show the mayor of London/governor of the BBC got one but other than that I couldn't find much information.

I have an "ordinary" 1953 farthing but obviously has had special care and probably accurately graded as [Pf 67* RD Cameo] and it hits from across the room almost literally.

However Obv. 2 Rev A

As a collector of 20th century mainly silver VIP record proofs, I have learned possibly a couple of things, and one is that designation as VIP and/or Record Proof status is not at all a crystal clear proposition. Will not go there with the Wreaths as I am worn out on the topic but a reasonable working knowledge of these in the 1920-1966 range.

• Like 1

This is a great discovery, thanks for sharing!

In terms of the farthings, are there any differences between the regular 1953 proof sets and the VIP sets (without this particular example) aside from provenance? I'm trying to put together a list of post-1900 farthings I need to be on the look out for and I'm not sure if the regular VIP set example is something I should include.

In terms of farthings? Probably not, but I'm not an expert

15 hours ago, Master Jmd said:

This is a great discovery, thanks for sharing!

In terms of the farthings, are there any differences between the regular 1953 proof sets and the VIP sets (without this particular example) aside from provenance? I'm trying to put together a list of post-1900 farthings I need to be on the look out for and I'm not sure if the regular VIP set example is something I should include.

https://www.noonans.co.uk/auctions/archive/lot-archive/results/235221/?keywords=1953+VIP+proof+set&discipline=&category=&date_on=&date_start=&date_end=&lot_no=

The farthing is described as "Freeman 1+A (not listed as a proof)". I think the George VI-type bordered penny was one of the main interests of this set. It went for £4200 hammer.

But to pay £6500 for a set in 2021 from DNW described as having a superior finish but without any rare varieties and having the normal case shape would seem to be a big leap of faith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

The farthing is described as "Freeman 1+A (not listed as a proof)".

Interesting. From my notes I now have the following variants for the 1953 farthings:

• 1 + A
  • 1 + A VIP proof
  • 1 + A matte proof
  • 1 + B
  • 2 + A
  • 2 + A proof
  • 2 + B
  • 2 + B proof
  • 2 + B matte proof
  • 2 + ? VIP proof (the variant from this thread)

The £6,500 listing you mention supposedly included a 2 + B VIP proof, but I'm not sure if there are any features of the coin which would make it differ in any way from the usual 2 + B proof, so I'm not including that on the list above.

I don't know if matte proof variants exist for 1 + B and 2 + A. The 1 + A and 2 + B both sold through Heritage (https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=farthing+1953+matte+proof&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515).

Looks like I'm going to have my work cut out if I want to acquire all of these variants. 😧

• Like 2

Better get ready to cut some big checks for a couple. I have only the matte, and will have to check the type and an exceptional 2 + A proof that was as stated graded Proof 67* Red Cameo. 

The latter is not considered VIP Record, but picked it out based on its superior appearance and not sure I would exclude it despite the type. I have to say it swayed me strongly and got it along with a wonderful proof halfpenny of same date that graded similarly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Master Jmd said:

Interesting. From my notes I now have the following variants for the 1953 farthings:

• 1 + A
  • 1 + A VIP proof

What distinguishes your VIP proof from the regular proof?

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

What distinguishes your VIP proof from the regular proof?

I'm not sure if they made a regular 1 + A proof outside of the VIP sets.

10 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Better get ready to cut some big checks for a couple. I have only the matte...

Wow! You're lucky to have one of the matte versions. Seems like they're probably the hardest to track down.

Maybe one day if you feel like selling I may be a potential buyer. 😉

• Like 1

Ah, wish I had an extra....Part of the set and so am keeping it together until my wheels fall off. LOL

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 11:59 AM, Master Jmd said:

• 1 + A
  • 1 + A VIP proof
  • 1 + A matte proof
  • 1 + B
  • 2 + A
  • 2 + A proof
  • 2 + B
  • 2 + B proof
  • 2 + B matte proof
  • 2 + ? VIP proof (the variant from this thread)

The £6,500 listing you mention supposedly included a 2 + B VIP proof, but I'm not sure if there are any features of the coin which would make it differ in any way from the usual 2 + B proof, so I'm not including that on the list above.

I don't know if matte proof variants exist for 1 + B and 2 + A. The 1 + A and 2 + B both sold through Heritage (https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=farthing+1953+matte+proof&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515).

Looks like I'm going to have my work cut out if I want to acquire all of these variants. 😧

I think i may have a 1-B proof anyone want to see pics ? Its in my collection

IMG_20230622_0003.jpg

IMG_20230622_0004.jpg

Edited by copper123

I think that might be a 2 + B as the cross points directly between 2 beads?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kipster said:

I think that might be a 2 + B as the cross points directly between 2 beads?

oh thanks sorry about that - even so it does look like a frosted finish