British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Confederate $20 Bill

I was looking through my late sister’s papers and came across $20 confederate bill. It was only printed on one side and I initially thought it was a copy. On closer examination and looking at one online at real examples it seems that they were only printed on one side. Whether this one is genuine I don’t know but it’s trying to look like a real bill. My sister was very interested in th American Civil War and the Confederacy.

• Like 2

Never knew that there were notes only printed one side, before. Interesting fact.  

They were printing those off as fast as they could to fund an abysmal cause & rapidly turned almost worthless to be made good on conclusion of the war (well thank God it didn't go their way). To me, I always felt like holding any confederate anything was akin to holding items from Nazi Germany, or possibly worse.

Anyway, I suppose these things serve an educational purpose....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VickySilver said:

They were printing those off as fast as they could to fund an abysmal cause & rapidly turned almost worthless to be made good on conclusion of the war (well thank God it didn't go their way). To me, I always felt like holding any confederate anything was akin to holding items from Nazi Germany, or possibly worse.

Anyway, I suppose these things serve an educational purpose....

Remind you of what happened to the uk currency ,The pound once a gold coin now basemetal tat

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

Remind you of what happened to the uk currency ,The pound once a gold coin now basemetal tat

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the pound originally a pound weight of silver?

10 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the pound originally a pound weight of silver?

I think you are going way ,way back , now you have said it, it does make sense

Edited by copper123

I was hoping for some guidance on whether the bill was genuine rather than a moral judgement on the rights and wrongs of the American civil war.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:22 PM, ozjohn said:

I was looking through my late sister’s papers and came across $20 confederate bill. It was only printed on one side and I initially thought it was a copy. On closer examination and looking at one online at real examples it seems that they were only printed on one side. Whether this one is genuine I don’t know but it’s trying to look like a real bill. My sister was very interested in th American Civil War and the Confederacy.

You could maybe send it to PMG or the equivalent body for grading and authenticity, at least it will give you peace of mind whether its real or not as its probably outside the realms of most of our knowledge here. Alink to some notes here on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/b/PMG-20-US-Confederate-Currency/3414/bn_54249599

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

It certainly looks the part. There was one exactly the sam on the site you suggested for $US175. Maybe the condition was a little better.

DSC03479.JPG

DSC03480.JPG

Edited by ozjohn
More info