British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

2000 Bahamas SEVEN COIN Specimen Set - Rarity Most Likely

Hopefully these posts keep interests of the readers but one of the few areas I have bought in on occasion:

The Royal Mint from about 1980 for about 25 years and more struck some scarcities as far as sets and individual coins that some may be aware of. The Bahamas had struck for them souvenir sets in several years (1989, 1991, 1992, 1996) and the year 2000. These came in the 5 coin format and then a very few in the 7 coin format.

For the year 2000, the former  5 coin sets were struck in reasonable numbers but although the coins in these cardboard and plastic sets were of excellent prooflike quality, were of normal 1c through 25c denominations that were struck for, and served as circulation coins. BUT, the 7 coin sets were struck in much fewer numbers and included examples of the nicely designed and somewhat famous 50 cents Marlin coin, and the more well-known One Dollar conch coin - both of these had been struck since the inaugural 1966 coins and sets. For year 2000 these were not struck for circulation so the only way to get them is in the 7 coin sets.

The 5 coin sets usually sell on ebay for about 8-20 pounds plus shipping, but had not seen a 7 coin set for nearly a decade, and so despite constant searching there and other venues had not found one until just a couple of weeks ago when one popped up at a starting price of USD 9.95. I watched it for 9 days and it stayed at that price so I put out a "nuclear" bid of multiples of that, and low and behold, got it at USD 10.50 plus another 6 in shipping and taxes. Very thrilled with this, and have been informed that the 7 coin set mintage may be about 50 in all with there being some attractive coins included and all basically at the price of a nice Starbucks coffee!

I will see if Richard may post pictures of the dollar coin from the set and others if readers are interested.

BTW, some other RM rarities include the 1996 Bahamas 7 coin specimen set and the 2004 Falklands specimen set (and proof set which also seems to have a 50 set mintage and coins of copper nickel). The RAM Australian Mint has made some scarcities during these years as well but some of the rarities remain a bit obscure - Mister T knows far more than I about these .....

• Like 1

Thanks Richard. LOL. I even have trouble getting the obverse here but will try again.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:25 PM, VickySilver said:

The RAM Australian Mint has made some scarcities during these years as well but some of the rarities remain a bit obscure - Mister T knows far more than I about these .....

I really need to try and get my hands on some of those earlier mint reports - the mintage figures should be there.

Go team! Well, some of these coins are likely so rare that it is luck now but knowledge has a way of enhancing luck!

• Like 1

According to personal communication, the uncirculated copper nickel $1 and $2 conch and flamingo coins of the following dates are quite rare evidently as the total struck coins (versus number authorised):

One Dollar Conch:

- 1989.      300 pcs in sets

- 1991.      200 pcs in sets

- 1992.     200 pcs in sets

- 1996.     still unknown, likely much less than 100

- 2000.     still unknown, likely less than 50

Two Dollar Flamingos:

- 1979      300 pcs

-1980.        80 pcs

- 1989        does not exist

-1991.       does not exist in CuNi uncirculated, but is known in silver uncirculated      - mintage  600 pcs of the latter

• Like 1

I wonder why they bothered for such small mintages - could the sale from 50 coins have covered costs even?

Yes, I have often wondered. In business over here in USA, such "enterprises" are labelled Loss Leaders - they serve as advertising for other high profit issues or are the backend of various contracts that must be fulfilled. These are opportunities for numismatists.

• Like 1

BTW, an 1980 Bahamas $2 uncirculated in the "Birds" holder from the FM World Birds Collection (or some such name) just sold on ebay for USD 57 plus shipping and tax. That was IMHO a very good buy for a coin of mintage 75 pcs. Mine is not in a holder....

• Like 1

One benefit of collecting these niche areas - you can get some good buys on the rarities.