British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

DNW Hammered Prices

I watched a number of the lots go out today and couldn’t believe the prices! I wanted lot 136, the Elizabeth sixpence, but that sold for over £450 with juice!

I thought I’d get the halfpenny however to sell on - not a particularly nice flan OR coin really - but £167 for God’s sake! 

0BCFDAD9-F81C-49FB-B1DB-F1FB52EAE539.jpeg

Never mind hammered. How much would you say a circulated 1949 brass 3d (F/GF) should go for ? £10 (plus juice)? If you're lucky?

DNW estimate was £60 - £80. "Aha" I thought, "an obvious error. Just see what it actually fetches, and observe the faces with egg on..."

IT FETCHED FIFTY QUID!!! Plus juice...

WHAT??????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Never mind hammered. How much would you say a circulated 1949 brass 3d (F/GF) should go for ? £10 (plus juice)? If you're lucky?

DNW estimate was £60 - £80. "Aha" I thought, "an obvious error. Just see what it actually fetches, and observe the faces with egg on..."

WHAT??????

😮

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

WHAT??????

Crazy prices…honestly, some of the shoddy Edward pennies I saw were silly money! Maybe everything was? Maybe just DNW? 

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

Crazy prices…honestly, some of the shoddy Edward pennies I saw were silly money! Maybe everything was? Maybe just DNW? 

If you think that's bad.........Are we on here out of touch with prices?

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 02.08.09.png

33 minutes ago, azda said:

Wow, what happened? 

7 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Wow, what happened? 

Apparently MS 64 costs €1900 plus juice happened lol. I didn't buy it, I was watching.

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

Gaaak!!!! Well, I collect this type of coin but NOT at this price and glad mine came from a saner time. Nowadays I am most careful with my purchases and only splurge on particular items that I know are especially scarce or have other attributes. I would imagine there are others that have somewhat retreated in this market as well...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Gaaak!!!! Well, I collect this type of coin but NOT at this price and glad mine came from a saner time. Nowadays I am most careful with my purchases and only splurge on particular items that I know are especially scarce or have other attributes. I would imagine there are others that have somewhat retreated in this market as well...

I think most of these types of coins are more speculative investors rather than collectors. I see the same thing with dealers, buying at X and then just doubling their buying price as their selling price. Buyers, or those who don’t  do their homework a little are the ones paying the silly prices.

10 hours ago, azda said:

Crazily high.  Not only this one, but also other Crown, Halfcrown, Florin.....

27 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Yeah I noticed. I had my eye on the 1689 Halfcrown but decided against it in the end.

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 13.20.35.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Hope it's not one of those fake Godless that were doing the rounds not so long ago in "NEF" condition. The colour does seem suspiciously uniform! 

4 hours ago, oldcopper said:

Hope it's not one of those fake Godless that were doing the rounds not so long ago in "NEF" condition. The colour does seem suspiciously uniform! 

yes, don't know if due to lighting or else.  By the way, if look at reverse, is it worth MS64?

1247-2.jpg

Edited by Bruce

4 hours ago, azda said:

Yeah I noticed. I had my eye on the 1689 Halfcrown but decided against it in the end.

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 13.20.35.png

I monitored some pennies in this auction and the one held in a day before.  But finally, I can make bid for 1 lot only, coz others were way above my target in opening bid.

• Like 1

I'm finding it cheaper to buy from well known dealers than eBay or auction houses. How times have changed... 🤯

• Like 1

Long time no see! Nice to see you back!

1 minute ago, Sword said:

Long time no see! Nice to see you back!

Me? Thank you! Been nearly two years but had a strong urge to check out my old haunts. Hope you're all doing well!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, azda said:

Makes my upgrade from a forum member - EF with gorgeous toning - seem a real bargain!

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 4:32 PM, Bruce said:

yes, don't know if due to lighting or else.  By the way, if look at reverse, is it worth MS64?

1247-2.jpg

I agree, nice coin, but not the best strike, especially on the reverse.

• Like 1