Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Recommended Posts

I just saw this posted and was appalled (surprise, surprise!) at the quality or lack thereof and the grades obtained. For specifics, check the 1935 Specimen Rocking Horse Crown in SP66 (?!?!) - marks on the cheek are absolutely unacceptable IMO for that grade.

And then there is the poor 1965 Churchill crown somehow graded MS65 but given what appears to be a "GVF" or thereabouts in the description. I simply can not believe that grade. As some may know, I am actually a fan of this crown in higher grades - which this certainly is NOT - but this one won't do.

I have gradually over the years been filling out the Old Head Regnal years but even with those I'm lacking feel I must pass on this lot for sale.

What say our readers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I briefly go through the auction items days ago, and have a feeling that estimates are not cheap in view of items and quality offering.  I will likely pass n wait for subsequent Shilling one.

For Churchill, i remember it's discussed in another post that high price realised.  I am also not a fan of this Crown.  Let's see how it is performed this time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is ever increasing evidence imo that due to hype, blind acceptance of TPG grades, record prices being realised, and laziness, greed has become a big factor in our hobby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I just saw this posted and was appalled (surprise, surprise!) at the quality or lack thereof and the grades obtained. For specifics, check the 1935 Specimen Rocking Horse Crown in SP66 (?!?!) - marks on the cheek are absolutely unacceptable IMO for that grade.

And then there is the poor 1965 Churchill crown somehow graded MS65 but given what appears to be a "GVF" or thereabouts in the description. I simply can not believe that grade. As some may know, I am actually a fan of this crown in higher grades - which this certainly is NOT - but this one won't do.

I have gradually over the years been filling out the Old Head Regnal years but even with those I'm lacking feel I must pass on this lot for sale.

What say our readers?

Churchill crown in GVF ? Sounds like it might have circulated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't know just not the Spink of the past says one who is reluctantly becoming an old-timer...

It's just that I used to get so many quality pieces from them, although admittedly many from the SNC when notified early....

Edited by VickySilver
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bruce said:

I briefly go through the auction items days ago, and have a feeling that estimates are not cheap in view of items and quality offering.  I will likely pass n wait for subsequent Shilling one.

For Churchill, i remember it's discussed in another post that high price realised.  I am also not a fan of this Crown.  Let's see how it is performed this time.

 

A Churchill got £800 in MS65 grade at Baldwins just a few months ago. Ridiculous 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paulus said:

There is ever increasing evidence imo that due to hype, blind acceptance of TPG grades, record prices being realised, and laziness, greed has become a big factor in our hobby

The reliance on a so called influencer who doesn’t know his arse from his elbow has pushed the modern coins to such levels of greed that those who trust what he says are now finding out he was just shilling coins he bought so he could sell off at hyper inflated prices to buy the numismatic coins. Some people never learn, yet they still trust him and flock to his YT channel. Fools and their money are soon parted as we are now seeing from the recent dump in modern coin prices, and not before time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking at Schulman bv auction right now, and prices hammered seems on high side for UK coins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bruce said:

I am looking at Schulman bv auction right now, and prices hammered seems on high side for UK coins.

I’ve just mentioned this elsewhere, but maybe the more conservative coin collectors on here could be out of touch with pricing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×