British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

david.bordeaux

Latest bargain from the Royal Mint shop

The Royal Mint shop is selling a 1906 florin for... 942 pounds. Slabbed by CGS as "EF78", it looks more like a good VF from the photos (too much wear on Britannia and in the sea for it to be EF in my opinion). Even in EF, they sell for about one-third of that price. Maybe they looked at the wrong line in the catalogue and priced it as a 1905!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, david.bordeaux said:

The Royal Mint shop is selling a 1906 florin for... 942 pounds. Slabbed by CGS as "EF78", it looks more like a good VF from the photos (too much wear on Britannia and in the sea for it to be EF in my opinion). Even in EF, they sell for about one-third of that price. Maybe they looked at the wrong line in the catalogue and priced it as a 1905!

Or maybe they got their price from Sovereign Rarities

• Haha 1

Yes, I to am appalled by their prices on "classic" and often worn coins of no real substance or value (excluding that 1819 sovereign which didn't look like diddly to me), but the profit margin is also IMHO to high on the current offerings.

• Like 1

They are asking £100 for a proof 1977 silver crown!? Around 400% profit margin when sourced from eBay?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/25/2022 at 2:19 PM, david.bordeaux said:

Never mind. If you're hard up, you can always afford a 1902 Crown in F for a mere £250

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/historic-coins/historic-crowns/hisx160/

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Never mind. If you're hard up, you can always afford a 1902 Crown in F for a mere £250

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/historic-coins/historic-crowns/hisx160/

OMG what a retail price - it is a scarce coin but not worth much more than seventy pounds

3 minutes ago, copper123 said:

OMG what a retail price - it is a scarce coin but not worth much more than seventy pounds

19 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

RM must be making a hefty profit from buying at 50 and selling at 250.  Maybe they are charging 200 for authentication😅.

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

RM must be making a hefty profit from buying at 50 and selling at 250.  Maybe they are charging 200 for authentication😅.

The coin has a lamination fault as well , but to be honest I would say its good fine ....

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

The coin has a lamination fault as well , but to be honest I would say its good fine ....

They do say "minimum Fine", but no guarantee that the coin in the photo will be supplied!

Oh they bought a few hundred then - how many mugs do they think are out there?

They might have been better off with 1967 pennies - the amount they would have to lay out would be a lot less after all The London mint keeps on going doesn't it

23 hours ago, copper123 said:

Oh they bought a few hundred then - how many mugs do they think are out there?

They might have been better off with 1967 pennies - the amount they would have to lay out would be a lot less after all The London mint keeps on going doesn't it

"Yours for only £19.67 - a special celebration price"

On 3/29/2022 at 5:18 AM, Peckris 2 said:

They do say "minimum Fine", but no guarantee that the coin in the photo will be supplied!

Years ago, i have asked them for pictures of actual coin selling.  They declined to do so, and said if you think the quality is not up to standard, you can return in 7 or 14 days which i can't remember the exact days.  I think they are having below par sales standard for such a big organization.

• Like 2

Someone seems to have bought the 1906 florin at £942 (status has changed to "awaiting stock"). Same for this 1904 at a mere £775.

1904.png.d57fb482704590b50ddf60fa0ab25d90.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Even though it is MS63 (unsure whether it worth that grade), it is still ridiculously steep in price.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bruce said:

Even though it is MS63 (unsure whether it worth that grade), it is still ridiculously steep in price.

100% agreed. It doesn't look MS63. It just looks a scruffy mess. As you say, ridiculously overpriced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the reduction in birthrates,   there is now one born every 96 seconds...

Never underestimate how stupid people can be, and how led-by-the-nose.

Last month my old mate asked me why he saw so many stupid people about.

I pointed out that, all things being even, ignoring things like the  'brain 'drain' to the cities, the IQ distribution curve

is centred on 100, and for every person he knew whose IQ is 120, he will meet one whose IQ is 80.

So, for the ten or so of us in this thread, there are ten people, also into coins, who are finding the RM coins appealing.....

Edited by blakeyboy
speling
  • Haha 3

On 1/8/2023 at 11:15 AM, blakeyboy said:

With the reduction in birthrates,   there is now one born every 96 seconds...

Never underestimate how stupid people can be, and how led-by-the-nose.

Last month my old mate asked me why he saw so many stupid people about.

I pointed out that, all things being even, ignoring things like the  'brain 'drain' to the cities, the IQ distribution curve

is centred on 100, and for every person he knew whose IQ is 120, he will meet one whose IQ is 80.

So, for the ten or so of us in this thread, there are ten people, also into coins, who are finding the RM coins appealing.....

There's a saying that goes:

Think how dumb the average person is.

Now, remember, half the people are dumber than that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

There's a saying that goes:

Think how dumb the average person is.

Now, remember, half the people are dumber than that.

Tsk tsk - you really need to brush up on your 'averages'!!

6 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Tsk tsk - you really need to brush up on your 'averages'!!

The distribution isn't skewed as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

Newly listed, a 1951 crown (complete with a shabby ink-stained cardboard case) for just 250 pounds plus postage. Rush before someone snaps it up!

• Haha 3