British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

(1963) Ironside 20 Pence Decimal Pattern

I had to edit this as I may need a bit of help posting pictures of a pattern decimal 20 pence reverse struck in 1963 and that came with a set in a DNW 2005 auction . Also is a pattern Machin obverse for the 20 pence from 1963 

The latter was supposedly struck in silver and I just weighed it at 26.30 gms.

The former is supposedly struck in copper nickel and the specimen in the Royal Mint collection weighs in at 22.50 gms; internet sources, probably based on that specimen also say copper nickel and 22.50 gms.  Mine weighs in at 26.56 gms and looks like silver. 
Besides helping me post photos can any readers venture thoughts or opinions?

notum: for some reason I can not compress files today

Purely based on density, a copper-nickel coin that weighs 22.5g would weigh 26.12g if made from .925 silver (assuming identical diameter and thickness). So this would support the assumption that your specimen could be silver (without proving it, of course!).

Good science there and what my thoughts obviously are as well. An XRF machine would settle composition issue but these  are very hard to find locally. Some jewelry stores have them but they are rather costly and have found none locally. I am also questioning the 10 pence pattern from the same set although have not weighed it.

I just want someone to post pictures as I cannot reduce the size on either laptop or iPhone ....PM me if you might be able to.

I email pictures to me - after choosing what size I want - the only easy non-techy way I've found that works!

15 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Good science there and what my thoughts obviously are as well. An XRF machine would settle composition issue but these  are very hard to find locally. Some jewelry stores have them but they are rather costly and have found none locally. I am also questioning the 10 pence pattern from the same set although have not weighed it.

I just want someone to post pictures as I cannot reduce the size on either laptop or iPhone ....PM me if you might be able to.

You can send them over to me VS if no one has offered yet.

Non-techy is good to me. Not to digress but for some reason I have never been able to post off my old iMac but used to be able to post one picture at a time from my iPhone 11S but now I can not use it on the latest pictures. I like good and simple that works.  Meanwhile, I will weigh out the 10 New Pence pattern with the George and the dragon reverse and post that as well with help (ed. weight was 13.06 gms. on that one and feels much denser than CuNi in hand & suspect may be silver as well despite published reports of CuNi composition). Thanks all!

Edited by VickySilver
clarification

Thanks Richard!