British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

PCGS Again

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154897378303?hash=item24 shows a 1942 florin graded at MS 64. The reverse of the coin shows considerable wear  or poor strike to the center rose. At best this coin should be marked at a poor strike but IMO should not be grades as MS 64. It has to be said the obverse is good but the whole coin should be appraised not just one side. If I have a coin that has a perfect obverse but the reverse has been damaged then it should be graded as such.

Who but an idiot would slab a 1942 florin?

The slab is five times the worth of the coin

There again there a many idiots that could , I surpose

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Who but an idiot would slab a 1942 florin?

The slab is five times the worth of the coin

There again there a many idiots that could , I surpose

If we all agree there is no right or wrong way to collect, then by extension, it is not wrong to slab a 1942 florin. I wouldn't and you wouldn't , but that doesn't make them wrong. It is their choice to waste their own money.

I think the condition of the coin and the accuracy of the grading is the issue not the slabbing of a coin of little value.

Not sure if these clowns care about any of these issues except the money they recieve for their Service

I must admit the coin is a-unc but it does suffer from a few bag marks on the obverse cheek this alone would make it worth about a tenner .....

24 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I must admit the coin is a-unc but it does suffer from a few bag marks on the obverse cheek this alone would make it worth about a tenner .....

Yes, the King's cheek is afflicted by multiple tiny abrasions - looks like no shave stubble. As you say, worth about a tenner, and once again we see that absurd premium placed on quite ordinary coins by virtue of their being slabbed. 

28 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, the King's cheek is afflicted by multiple tiny abrasions - looks like no shave stubble. As you say, worth about a tenner, and once again we see that absurd premium placed on quite ordinary coins by virtue of their being slabbed. 

The reverse of the coin is badly minted, worn or damaged in some way and  IMO shouldn't receive a MS 64 grade.

1 hour ago, ozjohn said:

The reverse of the coin is badly minted, worn or damaged in some way and  IMO shouldn't receive a MS 64 grade.

I agree.