Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

The Tyrant collection

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Yes, absolutely unbelievable. The rest of us poor peons....

 I have collected Brit coins for in excess of 30 years and only a few of my very very best might only just be considered rivals to this. Unbelievable quality and rarity. Can you imagine even thinking to try for any coin he has/had an interest in as it may come up to auction? 

One interesting thought - what happens if a coin comes up that both he and DL Hansen have to have? I would imagine some negotiations and collusion must by need have to occur.

 

Edited by VickySilver
clarity
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

https://thetyrantcollection.com/

 

Unbelievable ,there is that many in Dan O Dowds collection it takes a while for some of the pages to load ,includes the Edward V111 set.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/12/billionaire-tyrant-unveils-collection-coins-minted-every-english/

 

 

Yes, amazing! I recognise the 1853 proof set, with that distinctive die flawed halfpenny - ex Norweb and The New York Sale of several years ago.

Surprised he hasn't given provenances, some of these pieces must have pretty spectacular ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice that the James 1 sovereign appears to be struck from the same dies as the Elizabeth 1 crown preceding it. A rarity indeed !  😉

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Yes, absolutely unbelievable. The rest of us poor peons....

 I have collected Brit coins for in excess of 30 years and only a few of my very very best might only just be considered rivals to this. Unbelievable quality and rarity. Can you imagine even thinking to try for any coin he has/had an interest in as it may come up to auction? 

One interesting thought - what happens if a coin comes up that both he and DL Hansen have to have? I would imagine some negotiations and collusion must by need have to occur.

 

Yes, as I have first hand experience. The Henry VII half angel is a Montagu plate coin. I was hoping it might slip under the radar when it came up a few years ago, as it is only in an AU slab. It was only me and him, but I gave up when it went multiples of book. A bit p'd off though as I thought beforehand there was a realistic chance of getting it. It's a pity he doesn't collect MS65s or better only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are the British coins? None of the main headings features Britain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Where are the British coins? None of the main headings features Britain.

They are under "THE TYRANTS OF THE THAMES".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Cromwell Crown piece sold at Heritage on Jan 12, 2004 for: $13,800.00 (£11,000 in real money at the time).

When taking the obverse dings into account it may seem steep, for some, at today's prices.

 

After taking another look, I think that the reverse saves it, beautiful!

Edited by Diaconis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's some collection!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you get to look at this collection without taking out the subscription ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange - that's what I clicked on originally and it wouldn't let me go further without subscribing to something online.

But the above link worked fine !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot see an 1819 Sovereign in his collection. Disappointing I think.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

I cannot see an 1819 Sovereign in his collection. Disappointing I think.😁

He's missing some biggies -  Anne Vigo 5 guineas, Wm IV crown in gold. I think it's more a type set from the look of it. 

It looks like the Slaney Petition crown, not the better Glenister one. But on the whole, I might consider swapping my collection for his......

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

He's missing some biggies -  Anne Vigo 5 guineas, Wm IV crown in gold. I think it's more a type set from the look of it. 

It looks like the Slaney Petition crown, not the better Glenister one. But on the whole, I might consider swapping my collection for his......

No it's not. The Slaney coin was bought by Geoff Cope and is vastly superior to this one. This is the ex Norweb coin which Roddy had for a while before selling it in one of the NY sales.

This is Bergne no.7 (NC 1855) which was described as:

No. 7.  

Abraham Edmonds (bought by him casually),  

Thomas Dimsdale. Bought at his sale in 1824, for 110, by  

Thomas Thomas. do. 1844, for 48, by  

The late James Dodsley Cuff.  

(In a very good state ; but there is scratched on the field

of the obverse, C. W., Oct. 12, 1799.")

You can see traces of where the graffiti was subsequently polished out. However, in my view and that of others, it has also been plugged, which goes a long way to explaining how a dealer could pick it up so cheaply relative to other offerings around the end of the 18th century. If you look at II in the obverse legend, the facing uprights of the two characters are defective at the top giving a rounded profile to the vertical line. Compare that with the Slaney, Glenister or any other coin and these have perfectly formed Is.

The Slaney coin wasn't known to Bergne, so doesn't appear on his list.

CW may well be the initials of the jeweller or silversmith on the Strand that Edmonds acquired the coin from. Graffiti on a holed coin is not much more of an impediment to value, so this may be the coin that someone was touting around the 1740s but struggled to sell. Can't find the relevant document at the moment to give a name.

Discuss.

GC Petition Crown II.jpg

161022-01_f - Copy (2).png

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyrant II for comparison

Tyrant II.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Rob said:

Tyrant II for comparison

Tyrant II.jpg

 

2 hours ago, Rob said:

No it's not. The Slaney coin was bought by Geoff Cope and is vastly superior to this one. This is the ex Norweb coin which Roddy had for a while before selling it in one of the NY sales.

This is Bergne no.7 (NC 1855) which was described as:

No. 7.  

Abraham Edmonds (bought by him casually),  

Thomas Dimsdale. Bought at his sale in 1824, for 110, by  

Thomas Thomas. do. 1844, for 48, by  

The late James Dodsley Cuff.  

(In a very good state ; but there is scratched on the field

of the obverse, C. W., Oct. 12, 1799.")

You can see traces of where the graffiti was subsequently polished out. However, in my view and that of others, it has also been plugged, which goes a long way to explaining how a dealer could pick it up so cheaply relative to other offerings around the end of the 18th century. If you look at II in the obverse legend, the facing uprights of the two characters are defective at the top giving a rounded profile to the vertical line. Compare that with the Slaney, Glenister or any other coin and these have perfectly formed Is.

The Slaney coin wasn't known to Bergne, so doesn't appear on his list.

CW may well be the initials of the jeweller or silversmith on the Strand that Edmonds acquired the coin from. Graffiti on a holed coin is not much more of an impediment to value, so this may be the coin that someone was touting around the 1740s but struggled to sell. Can't find the relevant document at the moment to give a name.

Discuss.

GC Petition Crown II.jpg

161022-01_f - Copy (2).png

Thanks Rob - very interesting. Fascinating about the removal of the graffiti and possible plugging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The position of the plug would correspond to the small round spot of slightly different colour immediately to the left of the F(R), again supportive of the theory, though with the caveat that I haven't seen the coin in hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at the British coins and saw a lot of gold and a lot of proofs neither of which I'm especially interested in. Lovely collection nevertheless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×