British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

Coinstar find

Had my very first find in a coinstar reject box.

Here's the list nothing exciteing but heavy on eastern european coins .

Irish 10p, 1994 (close to unc)

Greek, 2 euros2009

20 euro cents 2002

1 euro cent germany 2002

2 cents x3 lituania 2015cyprus 2008 eire 2003

Halfpenny uk 1952 well worn

3 x 5p coins

Czech Republic

20 kg x3 1993 and two x 2002

10kg x3 1994 1996 and 2008

2kc 2002

The euros will probably be spent on my next european holiday

1kc two x 2009 and 2010.

anyone else found anything decent ?

Edited by copper123

Those coin machines in many supermarkets that turn your change into a voucher to spend in the supermarket

coinstar.jpg

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

If you put coins in and get vouchers out, how did you get the listed coins?

52 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

If you put coins in and get vouchers out, how did you get the listed coins?

hmm, indeed. Or how did he get the "reject box"? What's that all about?   

I guess the rejected coins can be donated to the "reject box" and the contents are then sold for charity?

On 3/12/2022 at 11:28 PM, 1949threepence said:

hmm, indeed. Or how did he get the "reject box"? What's that all about?   

Reject box rejects all non current coin - say you put a usa dime in it it would pass straight through and go into the reject box as it is not legal curency in the uK same with a pre decimal penny.

It is not given to charity but passes through the machine so you have the option of taking it home - if you don't and choose to leave it there then you cannot moan as you at least COULD

have taken it back

48 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Reject box rejects all non current coin - say you put a usa dime in it it would pass straight through and go into the reject box as it is not legal curency in the uK same with a pre decimal penny.

It is not given to charity but passes through the machine so you have the option of taking it home - if you don't and choose to leave it there then you cannot moan as you at least COULD

have taken it back

Right - so you as ordinary Joe Customer can just detach the reject box of your own volition and walk off with it? That doesn't sound quite right. 

Sorry, there's something I'm not quite getting here.

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Right - so you as ordinary Joe Customer can just detach the reject box of your own volition and walk off with it? That doesn't sound quite right. 

Sorry, there's something I'm not quite getting here.

Well someone left coins worth about six pounds in a machine and did not take them home - hardly CRIME OF THE CENTURY ,thats a supertramp album isn't it?

Edited by copper123

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Well someone left coins worth about six pounds in a machine and did not take them home - hardly CRIME OF THE CENTURY ,thats a supertramp album isn't it?

No, I'm just curious about the set up on the machine. Is it just there to be taken? Sounds odd that you can just go up to the machine and take it without anybody saying anything, that's all. 

I mean if there's one in a local supermarket here, I'd be interested to know how to get them myself. 

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

No, I'm just curious about the set up on the machine. Is it just there to be taken? Sounds odd that you can just go up to the machine and take it without anybody saying anything, that's all. 

I mean if there's one in a local supermarket here, I'd be interested to know how to get them myself. 

Remember I did say it was the first time in fifteen years I had found something , checked hundreds of times and never found anything thats why I mentioned it , I would not surgest anyone took it up as a full time job.

Asda have them and sainsburys

35 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Asda have them and sainsburys

Right, I'll go and check it out. But to be honest I've still no real idea what the set up of the machine is, or how you pulled the coins. Still a mystery to me.

I'll report back. I might ask one of the staff. 

On 3/14/2022 at 11:02 PM, 1949threepence said:

Right, I'll go and check it out. But to be honest I've still no real idea what the set up of the machine is, or how you pulled the coins. Still a mystery to me.

I'll report back. I might ask one of the staff. 

Right- sorted !!! I did firstly try calling the local ASDA store, and the person I spoke to didn't know what I was on about, and asked me if coinstar was a new app. 

I then did what I should have done all along, which was to google it. This link explains it fully and very clearly. Obvious once you read it. Reject coins are just left to pile up in the reject tray, and anybody quick enough can nab them.   

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Right- sorted !!! I did firstly try calling the local ASDA store, and the person I spoke to didn't know what I was on about, and asked me if coinstar was a new app. 

I then did what I should have done all along, which was to google it. This link explains it fully and very clearly. Obvious once you read it. Reject coins are just left to pile up in the reject tray, and anybody quick enough can nab them.    

In a nutshell

• Like 1

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

In a nutshell

...no, in a small plastic tray.

• Haha 3

Like the little tray at the bottom of an old coin phone.