British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I have 2 pennies that are extremely poor condition that I think might be reverse f's.

Both obverse 5's.

It might just be wishful thinking. Or simply going blurry eyed looking at minutiae on myriad coins.

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Thank you.

Coin 1 reverse

Coin-01  reverse.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

To be honest, they're slightly too worn for me to hazard a guess on.

• Haha 1

You sold me this penny  as probably the first suggestion of the existence of the F27. You'll see that the top of the gap between helmet plume and head is very narrow and appears to me to be smaller than your examples. But it's a brave man that makes a firm decision.

1704788832_1861F27rev.thumb.JPG.2589c5072b29054a35bd5a153bf1b5c7.JPG

5 minutes ago, secret santa said:

You sold me this penny  as probably the first suggestion of the existence of the F27. You'll see that the top of the gap between helmet plume and head is very narrow and appears to me to be smaller than your examples. But it's a brave man that makes a firm decision.

1704788832_1861F27rev.thumb.JPG.2589c5072b29054a35bd5a153bf1b5c7.JPG

I remember that coin Richard. It was sold to me by Laurie Bamford, with the tickets from the Freeman auction as Michael Freemans F-27. THAT coin I'm sure of.

In rexamining my posting, I'm now leaning toward the 2nd coin being more of a possibility of being a reverse F with the narrow gap. I'm a little more hesitant with the first coin now.  At least I have an undisputable F-27 in my collection.

I'm just re-reviewing coins I put aside a long time ago as possibles. Still learning, still searching for varieties, and still looking for an F-19 (among others)

• Like 1

I wonder what aspect of the Obverses make you think that they are F 5s , as example one to me looks more like a 6 .  All the 5s I have seen have a distinct gap between the back of Victoria's head and the bottom of the left corner of the B in BRITT,  where as on the 6s it almost touches the head.

Also both the 5 and 6 have the pinch in top of the ribbon so nothing there to determine the type.

I do think that all three are reverse Fs as the plume is very wide as happens to worn Fs, and the square rock below the shield is faintly visible , and a slight depression to the left of the square rock seems to show.   

The example 2 has more chance of being a 5 as the teeth and rim when worn look narrower than on the 6, but the B in BRITT looks to close to the head to be a 5. ?

But then who knows , who could be really certain !!!

Edited by terrysoldpennies

I am posting close-ups of the back of Victoria's head and of the base of her bust.

On both specimens there is s distinct gap between the back of Victoria's head and the B of Britt, thereby precluding it being an obverse 6.

Upon examining the base of Victoria's bust, I see no trace of LC WYON appearing in any position which would indicate either obverse 2, 3, or 4.  Ergo, by eliminating the other obverses and by having the space where it would be without exhibiting the signature, I would determine both coins to be an obverse 5. 

Coin 1, behind Victoria's head

Coin-01  close-up behind head.jpg

Assuming that there was only one working die for the F27 because of its rarity, then dropped final 1 rules out your example 2 (all the example on my website have this lower1)

2125960649_1861F27revedited.thumb.jpg.2871a8e5b8dbf86e528f810c8c59a5ed.jpg

• Like 1

I think I recall Bernie saying that the F27 always has the dropped second 1 .

1687412276_coin1.jpg.d7e9a4cff8928c16959583139a619b6b.jpg

715875393_5Obv.jpg.54aa8cea06d0057b31519e7fc72460f5.jpg686537465_6Obv-Copy(2).jpg.a6fb2509dbedd67ab952f44f410352cf.jpg669188111_coin2.jpg.bed685d6f99688aab46c947e5703daef.jpg

So difficult to be sure .  The two in the middle are    F5 on the left    F6 right  and maybe its me but your two look more like the F6 on the right.?      Used your great Pics. Richard