British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Brisbane Rain

I can remember a discussion about rain some time ago that descended into  imperial v SI units.

In the last 2 days we have had 1000 mm of rain in Brisbane ie 1 meter or  39,4" of rain,

• Like 1

I hope you live on a hill.

J

• Haha 1

WE had some roof leaks and drain blockages but so far survived  relatively unscathed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I can remember a discussion about rain some time ago that descended into  imperial v SI units.

In the last 2 days we have had 1000 mm of rain in Brisbane ie 1 meter or  39,4" of rain,

I can't even imagine how much that would be if that was snow....

I can imagine how much snow that would be.

Unfortunately, if it happened, I wouldn't be able to tell anyone since you would only hear a faint muffled noise, if anything....

Weather is amazing- I used to go to Bear Valley, in the pre-covid days. 7500 ft up in the Sierra Nevada.

It was, until the weather patterns moved, the snowiest place in the world- 75 feet in the winter.

We took a cast metal outdoor bench one year, to put by the fire pit.

This was our last visit before winter, so we tidied everything away, leaving the bare metal bench with its legs sitting on four 3" thick concrete blocks.

I was there the next year to do the first visit of the season to the acreage.

The bench was there- all four concrete blocks split in half, with the legs of the bench smashed into the ground- the seat was on the ground.

Took some fun getting it out.  The snow up there is known as 'Sierra Concrete' due to it's weight.....anything left out is crushed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I can't even imagine how much that would be if that was snow....

1" of rain is generally considered to be the equivalent of 1 foot of level undrifted snow.

Fortunately Brisbane doesn’t get any snow. Winter in Brisbane is similar to summer in the UK with a July average of 22 deg C.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

1" of rain is generally considered to be the equivalent of 1 foot of level undrifted snow.

That would essentially an overnight ice age...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

That would essentially an overnight ice age...

good name for a film franchise

Just been looking up the Rain Bomb that Brisbane got....Christ - 8 dead already.....

On 3/1/2022 at 6:36 AM, blakeyboy said:

Just been looking up the Rain Bomb that Brisbane got....Christ - 8 dead already.....

Unfortunately more dead in the NSW Northern Rivers region as the rain depression  moved further south and now heading towards Newcastle and the Hunter region and then probably Sydney. where  Warragamba  dam is already spilling.

• Sad 1

I was ready for purple rain and even november rain , but this?