British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr T

Royal Mint annual reports 1870-1976 now online

Excellent. Thanks so much for finding those.

I've been doing online searches for the reports for months and not come across these. Google and Edge just dont find them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr T said:

For those who haven't seen, the Royal Mint Museum has digitised some of the older annual reports: https://library.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/archive/royal-mint-annual-reports

That's absolutely brilliant. Thanks for the heads up. 

• Like 2

No worries - I suspect this is quite a recent development (like maybe the last week or two) - I think I saw it on Twitter (which is down right now so I can't check).

Previously all I'd been able to find online was https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C11038 which I think would require payment.

Volumes 1-12 are available via google books for download. You find them by luck when doing a general internet search.

Volumes 13-26 are available via https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008420717  Some for full down load others page by page. You can download in jpeg, txt or pdf format.

The next question is, "how do you download royalmintmuseum volumes?".  I can print screen captures using ImagePrinterPro at 800dpi  which gives very good results, but is very longwinded. Anyone know how to grab the whole volume using some PC trickery via run on the windows tab. 

PS. The National Archives volumes are not digitised so personal visit only. Take your phone or camera and photograph each page. I did that in Dec 2019, but covid got in the way for a return visit.  

Edited by AardHawk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AardHawk said:

The next question is, "how do you download royalmintmuseum volumes?".  I can print screen captures using ImagePrinterPro at 800dpi  which gives very good results, but is very longwinded. Anyone know how to grab the whole volume using some PC trickery via run on the windows tab.

Normally, Firefox has a device (via the three dots in the address bar) to take a screenshot, then asks if you want "Visible", or "Whole page" i.e. the bits you normally have to scroll down for. Unfortunately, these documents have been set up in such a way that you can't do that. The other option is to see if it offers download to pdf. I haven't looked yet...

Brilliant. Thank you for finding that. I had borrowed the 1887 and 1888 books and had to scan them myself for the last 10 years.

• Like 1

Hm, there might be a way to automatically download it - I'll have to look into it when I have some time.

I did find this https://scholarslab.lib.virginia.edu/blog/automate-downloading-pdf-files/ and after a lot of messing about created  something that would bring up the site and page thru the pdf. This whole process is a dogs dinner. The Ui.vision documentation is laughable.  

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that useful link.

I'm interested in getting information about the amount of 925 and 500 silver coinage that was withdrawn from circulation, and there seems to be some useful data - e.g. the following from the 1949 report:

image.png.3a58563a384cc8be9fed046733ee83b8.png

• Like 5