British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Menger

Overly struck effigy

The effigy on the 2d in my 1852 Maundy set appears to be punched down 0.7mm too much across the top of the head, brow and nose.  I have not come across this “error” before. Have you?  

E30E61B5-446D-4D4B-B928-51E1A97C7B06.jpeg

Do you mean double struck?

Sorry - perhaps it is not clear in the photo. The effigy has a “rim” around it (especially around the hair, brow and nose) as if the entire device has been pushed down too far into the die.  I am not sure how the mint makes such a device on a die - but if it punches it in (as for the legend) it looks as if the man with the hammer gave it one or two whacks too many. 

6 hours ago, Diaconis said:

tooled?

No. You may be able to see in the photo - there is a straight edge along the hair, brow and nose. If is clearly part of the original minting - as I say, as if a punch for the effigy had been pressed into the die just a little too far and thus imprinting not only the effigy but a straight section of the punch tool. (I have no idea if that is how a die is actually made).  NGC graded it MS66 so they seem to have seen it as original minting process.  For what it is worth, the other pieces in the Maundy set are entirely normal.  I will have to keep an eye out to see if other 2d in other 1852 Maundy sets have this same feature.