British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coin#addict

1933 Wreath crown

Hi

Looking for info on this wreath crown please. I noticed the strike on the 9 is very weak and the B and T in Brittania are both broken which I found unusual. 

Screenshot_20220216-121013_Facebook_copy_800x815.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-121007_Facebook_copy_791x842.jpg

What does it weigh ?It looks very iffy .

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mick1271 said:

“It looks very iffy”

I’m afraid I would agree. This series is rife with forgeries, I think they were pressure cast, and poor mould fill could give this appearance. Also the absent tooth above the T of BRITT. Yes, what is the weight?

Jerry

Edited by jelida
  • Thanks 1

Definitely a modern pressure cast copy. Avoid it like the plague! Weight is no guarantee - the alloy used is pretty much the same density as silver and so the weight is likely to be in the "right" vicinity...

• Like 1

Official cupro-nickel and silver crowns are both nominally 28.2g, so that doesn't mean much. Only something on a thinner flan or made in tin to the correct dimensions would be underweight. The missing elements are far more persuasive for it being a modern replica. Better still, search Chinese sites for more examples.

• Like 1