British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
terrysoldpennies

1903 Penny with squared off bottom loop inside the 3

New variety ?    I have looked at this under close magnification and can see no sign of tampering or damage , but there is a dent on the edge of the opposite side , but it is away from the position of the 3 due to slight die rotation on the coin .          Normal 1903 type below

205808401_1903withstraightinsidetothebottombarofthe3closeup.JPG.f775d10eebe9e2add01eccdae878a62e.JPG

1609272090_s-l1600(3)-Copy.jpg.6c2f06bc84274ca9a12800b74046fed0.jpg

To my inexpert eye, I think there's die wear here giving a thicker lower curve of the three, which makes the bottom appear squarer. 

1903.jpg

• Like 1

It does look a little different, but it would be nice to have an EF specimen to be sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

To my inexpert eye, I think there's die wear here giving a thicker lower curve of the three, which makes the bottom appear squarer. 

1903.jpg

I'm with you on this- well spotted.

• Like 1

Well, I'm not sure its caused by die wear , but if it is, there should be other examples out there to be found. !!  

27 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Well, I'm not sure its caused by die wear , but if it is, there should be other examples out there to be found. !!  

Worth keeping a sharp lookout for, either way.

12 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Well I'd always defer to those with more knowledge but I'm struggling to otherwise explain the increased thickness of the 3 at that point. :unsure:

Definitely squared inside the loop. I don't think that it is a 3/1, as it is too far to the right and away from the 190 in the date. Interesting find.

I'd say it was damage to the die in the absence of a different font 3. Is it any different to a filled numeral such as the internal angle of a 2 where it is clearly due to the loss of a tiny fragment

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I'd say it was damage to the die in the absence of a different font 3. Is it any different to a filled numeral such as the internal angle of a 2 where it is clearly due to the loss of a tiny fragmant

Agreed. The interstices of numerals and letters on dies did have a habit of breaking away leaving thicker and filled digits/letters on the finished coins throughout the bronze series. As well as numerous filled 2's that Rob mentions for example, there is also the "double barred" 5 on a 1915 penny that springs to mind...