British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

10 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I just watched Roberta Metsola addressing an emergency session of the European Parliament,

and the contrast between her and Liz Truss is absolutely astonishing and embarrassing.

Hear, hear indeed.

Of course, now we've left the EU, we're free.. to do absolutely phukk all about Ukrainian refugees. :angry:

• Like 1

Well a country is on its last legs when it has to depend on a truss!

• Haha 2

On 3/4/2022 at 8:29 PM, copper123 said:

Well a country is on its last legs when it has to depend on a truss!

Russian rupture by I. Kickabollockov

• Haha 1

Had a game of Ticket to Ride tonight with a twist. In the spirit of Russian isolation, the two long routes with Russian destinations were removed and to discourage you from doing shorter routes through or within the country, you had to pay a surcharge of 2 extra cards to use any one section within Russian borders or with a Russian terminus. Remarkably it worked ok, though western Europe was a tad congested with 4 players. :)

• Sad 1

Unbelievable news that the double-headed eagle has been parading today through the streets of Chernobyl.

One Russian regiment actually found one there and has made it it's mascot.

I think this topic should be closed. I think its inappropriate. People are dying, its no joke. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AardHawk said:

I think this topic should be closed. I think its inappropriate. People are dying, its no joke. 

I agree. Maybe attempts at domestic political point-scoring and ‘humour’ were tolerable when the topic was commenced,  but over the last ten days it just seems in poor taste. Do we have no empathy?

Jerry

• Like 2

While all wars would be better never started the fact is that when a war comes along jokes will be made , my grandfather was a political cartoonist with a national newspaper , he in effect earned part of his wages from drawing caricatures of Hitler ,Stalin ,etc.

He was gassed with mustard gas in the first world war by the way.(And I am very afraid that Putin has something a lot worse that that in store as he showed in Syria.)

God help us .

While you might not think anything or think a joke is in poor taste its a quite a british thing to mock an enemy look at the jokes about Hitler we still find funny like that episode of faulty towers(so loved by the germans as well, funny enough.)

To laugh at something that scares us makes us somehow feel better

‘Sigh’. I see nothing in the comments on this thread so far that compare with a clever propaganda/political cartoon which might as you say lift the spirit in a time of war. And certainly nothing  I have found humorous . But maybe that’s just me, I find it all terribly sad. With respect to the wonderfully funny “Germans” sketch in Fawlty Towers,  the joke is actually in the misdirected actions, verbal and physical, of Basil himself, and a poke at the anti- German attitudes still held by many thirty years after the cessation of actual hostilities . Not really applicable to the current  situation.

Anyhow, I don’t feel a need to joke about this situation.  Obviously it is up to others to act as they wish.

Jerry

• Like 3

Jerry, I think the world situation has changed somewhat from what it was when I started this thread.....

• Like 2

This might be a little left field here, and before I go further, war is never the answer, but I just feel that Zelensky is being used by the west and America, the cringeworthy clapping that went on by Parliament (remember the clap for the NHS?) absolute bs, same at Brussels, this for me feels like a stage. US and BRITAIN saying they'd stand by him if war broke out then stood back as war broke out.

Boris trying his best Churchill act while party gate takes the back pages these days, the man is not fit for office considering his party has been funded by Russians and a Russian given a peerage who's father was an ex KBG agent, the whole thing stinks.........

• Like 2

There were little clues over the last ten years or so that something like this would happen.

- russian help in syria -the novichok sailsbury affair -and above all the mighty war chest they were building up and Putin making himself life president , dictator in effect.

The real tragic thing is we don't seem to learn from history and are forced to repeat it over and over again.

Boris another churchill ? Not sure about that , he does love a drink and a party though.......

39 minutes ago, copper123 said:

There were little clues over the last ten years or so that something like this would happen.

Putin pretty much got away with Chechnya and then the Crimea, so he probably thought he'd get away with Ukraine. But the global reaction has been rather different...

- russian help in syria -the novichok sailsbury affair -and above all the mighty war chest they were building up and Putin making himself life president , dictator in effect.

The real tragic thing is we don't seem to learn from history and are forced to repeat it over and over again.

Boris another churchill ? Not sure about that , he does love a drink and a party though.......

"Sir, you are drunk." "Yes madam, and you are ugly. But at least I'll be sober in the morning". Sober in the morning? Not something you could ever accuse Boris of...

• Haha 1

I'm pleased to see we're giving some sophisticated anti tank and anti aircraft weaponry to the Ukrainians. Not only will it help them, but we will also see how well they perform in battlefield conditions.

Numerically the Russians are superior, but man for man, not so much. 

Sergei L****v must be one of the most evil people on the planet (trying to avoid libel).

On 3/1/2022 at 10:03 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Hear, hear indeed.

Of course, now we've left the EU, we're free.. to do absolutely phukk all about Ukrainian refugees. :angry:

It looks like we will be initiating a process whereby UK households can volunteer to take in Ukrainian refugees for a minimum period of 6 months, I assume free of charge - you pay for them. It'll be interesting to see how many actually do volunteer. I won't be as I don't have the room, and to be totally honest, I wouldn't want my personal space and privacy compromised in any case. Not to mention energy prices going through the roof. Will anyone on here be doing so? 

The problem we've got here in the UK, is one of space and available accommodation. Where precisely do they go? There are about 20 people (already here), chasing every private rental, given that many landlords have sold up due to increasing bureaucracy/selling at the top of the market. That highlights the issue. Plus many hotels are already fully occupied with Afghan refugees and economic migrants who've sailed from Northern France.

Obviously, the vast majority of Ukrainian refugees will stay in countries close to or immediately adjacent to their own, as they will hope to soon return. Plus they probably face less of a language/cultural gap.  

Rental demand increasing

Edited by 1949threepence

The wife and I had this discussion a couple of years ago when China started playing hardball in Hong Kong and decided if there was a forced mass exodus we would put someone up. The same would apply today, but currently have a problem in that 2 offspring are temporarily living here, so no free room at present. Personal privacy doesn't really come into it. They would want to move to a more stable environment asap where there was room to swing a cat in any case, so it wouldn't likely last more than a few months.

When the shit really hits the fan, there's a moral obligation to do whatever you can to help.

• Like 5

I assume that if they can only come here if they have relatives over here, those relatives will house them in most cases ?

5 hours ago, Rob said:

The wife and I had this discussion a couple of years ago when China started playing hardball in Hong Kong and decided if there was a forced mass exodus we would put someone up. The same would apply today, but currently have a problem in that 2 offspring are temporarily living here, so no free room at present. Personal privacy doesn't really come into it. They would want to move to a more stable environment asap where there was room to swing a cat in any case, so it wouldn't likely last more than a few months.

When the shit really hits the fan, there's a moral obligation to do whatever you can to help.

Just got in from work…your post really moved me! 🙏

• Like 1

Russia's army has said the first phase of its military campaign in Ukraine is over .......

I dread to think what they have planned for afters

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

Russia's army has said the first phase of its military campaign in Ukraine is over .......

Don't think it's gone too well for them.

Not a cool look for the school bully when the weak kid in the playground starts slapping him around unafraid. 

• Like 3

On 3/25/2022 at 8:56 PM, 1949threepence said:

Don't think it's gone too well for them.

Not a cool look for the school bully when the weak kid in the playground starts slapping him around unafraid. 

Except the victim is turning out to be a (very) tough kid in a fight. The bullying might eventually progress into the phase of breaking into his locker and stealing his homework.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 4:50 PM, copper123 said:

Translation:

"How DARE those b45tards fight back. Ok, the second phase is that we'll go after the Dombass (which is what we were interested in all along) and when they decide they'll give it to us to stop the bombing elsewhere, we'll declare victory and withdraw"

Headline-

No claim of responsibility for suspected Abramovich poisoning

I could make an educated guess

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

Headline-

No claim of responsibility for suspected Abramovich poisoning

I could make an educated guess

junk leg prop?