British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Oh it's all mad- paranoia, speculation blah blah

If I were running Russia, and needed to be the type of leader Russians like, I would do exactly what Putin is doing right now......

whether they attack or not is not important- he's generated panic  by moving around what he owns, on land he owns.

If he isn't planning anything, he must be falling about laughing, and if he is going to invade, he knows that not much will happen, like with Crimea.

Win win  for him.

I had to explain to someone in Belgium how the French for 'Putin' is not actually accurate, since pronouncing it as the Francophones otherwise would

would be 'Putain' which is not a complementary term...he didn't know, fell about laughing, so of course I pointed out that what the media tell him about the Russian build up

may also not be true.....we are all in the dark, most of the time.

Apparently Liz Truss was asked "Did we recognise Russian soveriegnty over two regions?" She replied "We will never recognise it". Then had to be discreetly told by an ambassador that the regions in question are in fact Russian.

And to think she may yet be PM - God help us!

• Haha 1

Well if they do invade, there's nothing we can do, as Ukraine isn't a member of NATO. The West, collectively, isn't going to risk a world war over them. 

When the iron curtain collapsed in 1989, we should have suggested a completely new order to replace both NATO and the (then) Warsaw Pact, which would have encompassed Russia as a leading player, along with the rest of us. Might have avoided all this current tension.

Being ex KGB, Putin probably misses the cold war days.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Apparently Liz Truss was asked "Did we recognise Russian soveriegnty over two regions?" She replied "We will never recognise it". Then had to be discreetly told by an ambassador that the regions in question are in fact Russian.

They were obviously trying to trip her up, otherwise why ask the question, which would otherwise appear obtuse to someone familiar with the geography.

Even so, we need politicians who are a bit more on the ball and do their homework before such meetings. If she had been, then she could have made them look idiots by answering "yes, why wouldn't I, they're part of Russia".

Yours Sincerely,

Mike of Englandshire 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

They were obviously trying to trip her up, otherwise why ask the question, which would otherwise appear obtuse to someone familiar with the geography.

Even so, we need politicians who are a bit more on the ball and do their homework before such meetings. If she had been, then she could have made them look idiots by answering "yes, why wouldn't I, they're part of Russia".

Yours Sincerely,

Mike of Englandshire 

Exactly!

How much would it have boosted her career and public standing to have said that?

All it needed was more background knowledge, and less posturing, hubris and  drinks parties.

I sometimes like to think of politicians as standing in a circle patting each other on the back whilst saying' aren't we great'.....

...of course, to stab someone in the back, you have to be right behind them......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Exactly!

How much would it have boosted her career and public standing to have said that?

All it needed was more background knowledge, and less posturing, hubris and  drinks parties.

I sometimes like to think of politicians as standing in a circle patting each other on the back whilst saying' aren't we great'.....

...of course, to stab someone in the back, you have to be right behind them......

Yes, although to be fair I think the question would have caught out most individuals, including from the Labour Party. I'm equally sure that at some point we could devise a question that made one of their politicians look dumb. Personally can't see the point either way, as it was so obviously contrived.     

The best way forward would have been to politely ask where the two regions concerned are located. 

As far as back stabbing, too much time and energy is being expended on personal vendettas, to the detriment of the country. Irrespective of whether Boris stays or goes, we urgently need to move on, before we become the laughing stock of the world. Can you imagine what Putin thinks about a parliament and media obsessed with garden parties that took place nearly 2 years ago?     

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder what some politicians think they were elected to do?

It's very rare for me to think a politician is employable.......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, although to be fair I think the question would have caught out most individuals, including from the Labour Party. I'm equally sure that at some point we could devise a question that made one of their politicians look dumb. Personally can't see the point either way, as it was so obviously contrived.     

The best way forward would have been to politely ask where the two regions concerned are located.

The thing which made her look so stupid, is that she didn't even have the nous to play dumb or be diplomatic.. such as asking a very obvious question like "Why are you asking that?"

13 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

The thing which made her look so stupid, is that she didn't even have the nous to play dumb or be diplomatic.. such as asking a very obvious question like "Why are you asking that?"

Yes.

If Boris does go, I hope she's not his replacement. I may have mentioned before that she's got about as much personality and charisma as a wet weekend in Wigan - probably considerably less.  

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 11:49 PM, 1949threepence said:

Well if they do invade, there's nothing we can do, as Ukraine isn't a member of NATO. The West, collectively, isn't going to risk a world war over them. 

When the iron curtain collapsed in 1989, we should have suggested a completely new order to replace both NATO and the (then) Warsaw Pact, which would have encompassed Russia as a leading player, along with the rest of us. Might have avoided all this current tension.

Being ex KGB, Putin probably misses the cold war days.  

Let's just pray that Russia doesn't want to risk a world war either. The situation with Cuba was even more dangerous and the world avoided a war even then. 

I am not certain if one could have replaced NATO / Warsaw Pack with something meaningful. Russia is already a permanent member of the United Nation Security Council and would probably want some form of veto in any such organisation. Incidentally, they are actually the President of the Security Council this month. 

Russians?

We were in Liverpool last night for the Russian State Ballet's production of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. Fabulous, with Expressionism and Dada influences in evidence throughout, so I came away a very happy bunny (man) indeed.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 11:21 PM, Peckris 2 said:

google lis truss and pork markets - its a classic

• Haha 1

Why does the proverbial bus fail to turn up when you need it?

Liz truss is a bus ? LOL

Looks like the back of one

On 2/14/2022 at 10:24 PM, Sword said:

Let's just pray that Russia doesn't want to risk a world war either. The situation with Cuba was even more dangerous and the world avoided a war even then. 

I am not certain if one could have replaced NATO / Warsaw Pack with something meaningful. Russia is already a permanent member of the United Nation Security Council and would probably want some form of veto in any such organisation. Incidentally, they are actually the President of the Security Council this month. 

Trouble is half of Ukraines hate the russians and half want them back .

Watch it Europe -get ready for loads of refugees esp in cyprus-greece they will be seen as favorites as they are orthodox friendly countries

Massive, massive respect for the people of Ukraine and especially Kiev (or should I say Kyiv) who seem to be putting up one hell of a fight against the Russians. They'll probably lose the immediate battle, but no doubt form guerilla groups to harass Russian occupation troops in the weeks and months to come. I'd also bet that this action will attract mercenaries and sympathisers from neighbouring countries, who will join the fight. Not to mention sophisticated weaponry being passed to them. 

This can't be going down well in Russia itself who no doubt see the Ukrainians as pretty much the same as themselves. 

Putin seems to have possibly miscalculated, and all the hard words about de-nazification, have removed any face saving way out, short of rapid outright victory. All the crap he comes out with means we might as well completely discount anything he says.  

• Like 1

It's been speculated on and with hindsight, bleedin' obvious for years. All dictators operate the same basic way. First thing is to grant themselves the position of leader in effective perpetuity. The fact he limited his period in office to 2036 is an irrelevance and totally arbitrary. Previously he had the inconvenience of two terms max.

Copper misread my previous reply. We desperately need a bus to run him over, or his butler to give him some Eau de Polonium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

It's been speculated on and with hindsight, bleedin' obvious for years. All dictators operate the same basic way. First thing is to grant themselves the position of leader in effective perpetuity. The fact he limited his period in office to 2036 is an irrelevance and totally arbitrary. Previously he had the inconvenience of two terms max.

Copper misread my previous reply. We desperately need a bus to run him over, or his butler to give him some Eau de Polonium.

A nice dose of Novichok would be quite appropriate.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

I changed Novichok to Eau de Polonium before I posted. Either way, the important thing is to eliminate him somehow.

It has to be serious when this happens

The Comparethemarket price comparison site has pulled ads featuring the animated rich Russian meerkat Aleksandr Orlov from news bulletins and content about the Ukraine war.

The firm said it had reviewed its media strategy due to the sensitivities around the Russian invasion.

Orlov, and sidekick Sergei, feature in one of the advertising industry's most recognised campaigns.

The firm stressed in a statement: "The meerkats are fictional characters."

Comparethemarket continued: "They have no association with Russia and the current situation. We are continually reviewing our advertising to ensure we're being sensitive to the current situation."

On 2/26/2022 at 9:35 PM, DaveG38 said:

On 2/26/2022 at 9:57 PM, Rob said:

I changed Novichok to Eau de Polonium before I posted. Either way, the important thing is to eliminate him somehow.

Well he's big on poisoning people, so it would certainly be karma if he went the same way.

59 minutes ago, copper123 said:

The Comparethemarket price comparison site has pulled ads featuring the animated rich Russian meerkat Aleksandr Orlov from news bulletins and content about the Ukraine war.

The firm said it had reviewed its media strategy due to the sensitivities around the Russian invasion.

Orlov, and sidekick Sergei, feature in one of the advertising industry's most recognised campaigns.

Comparethemarket continued: "They have no association with Russia and the current situation. We are continually reviewing our advertising to ensure we're being sensitive to the current situation."

Simples.......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

I love the quote -Meercats are fictional characters- Not at my local zoo they are not

NOT GUILTY

images.jpg

• Haha 1

I just watched Roberta Metsola addressing an emergency session of the European Parliament,

and the contrast between her and Liz Truss is absolutely astonishing and embarrassing.

Edited by blakeyboy
speling
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hear, hear.

A very fine address indeed.

• Like 1