British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

1567 Sixpence, Coronet/Lion obverse

And there was me thinking, after selling ALL my coin books for a song, that I’d never buy a hammered (in fact any) coin again!
I still love the Elizabeth I coins the best…blimey, I now need to buy a BCW again! 😳

In the meantime, anyone happy to share photos of the sixpence section, with the relevant rose, lions, shield and Lis bits at the back of the book to accompany? 

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 1

Frustrating that uploading images I’ve just screenshot and cropped on my phone is SO difficult because they are apparently still too large! 

If it took selling off all your books (and coins?) to rekindle your interest, then it was worth it! Love to get a decent Elizabeth I at some point myself.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sword said:

If it took selling off all your books (and coins?) to rekindle your interest, then it was worth it! Love to get a decent Elizabeth I at some point myself.  

I agree, and I’m grateful it’s still deeply under the skin, it’s such a tangible and lovely art!

Coinerys images

26e3d6e3-f2e0-4e52-baea-7c4cd45b4114.jpeg

• Like 2

REV

052b5d95-e49f-42d7-944b-bc4e90f7e16c.jpeg

• Like 3

Ah. Excellent acquisition. That's a box I still need to tick, so when you get fed up and sell things off again - yes please.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rob said:

Ah. Excellent acquisition. That's a box I still need to tick, so when you get fed up and sell things off again - yes please.

Ha, ha, yes, of course…it’ll probably be yours eventually :)

Hope you’re all keeping well!

Look at all that red wax in the legends !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mhcoins said:

Look at all that red wax in the legends !

Strange isn’t it? Not a super-grade coin…I can’t imagine it being worthy of copying.

I appreciate the overmark is of interest to a small minority, but otherwise nothing noteworthy about it in the context of the other specimens out there.

Is that wax indicative of someone wanting to make a cast copy?

If it is, then the copy will have faults where the wax as left on the coin....maybe?

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Is that wax indicative of someone wanting to make a cast copy?

If it is, then the copy will have faults where the wax as left on the coin....maybe?

Not usually, but maybe I guess. Normally it's for illustrative purposes in a catalogue or an article, and yes, you can see the wax in the pictures. For an example of this, Nicholas(?) posted a Chas.1 halfcrown with a superb provenance going back nearly 200 years where you can see the wax on the image in Hamilton-Smith's 1919 sale. I can't remember which thread, but it's probably Coin acquisition etc. However, museums also took a wax impression on occasion, if they wanted a record of the dies. e.g. My Edward the Elder penny is unique, so when Lockett bought it at the Vatican Hoard sale, the BM took an impression which left a tiny blob of wax.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 7:46 PM, Coinery said:

@Peckris 2 blimey…how do I resize an image on my iPhone? How are you, by the way? :)

Not TOO shabby...

Yes, resizing on a desktop is a doddle, but on an iPhone...! Best thing is to go to the App Store and type in "jpeg" and hopefully an app to resize images will show up?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Not TOO shabby...

Yes, resizing on a desktop is a doddle, but on an iPhone...! Best thing is to go to the App Store and type in "jpeg" and hopefully an app to resize images will show up?

Ahh, yes, a good and logical shout, thank you :)

• Like 1