British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Jason Renaud

Call for submissions - Major Die Breaks/Cuds

A major diagnostic on identifying varieties is the terminal stage die breaks.  These have been a focal point of my collection for many years. As an American ex-pat, I made the choice to transition my focus to coins of Great Britain - essentially start over.  American major die breaks are very well documented by Sam Thurman and Arnold Margolis but I have not seen their efforts repeated in any other country.  So, if you can't find it, make it!  I have been developing britisherrorcoins.co.uk to be this resource.  

This group has a wealth of knowledge and access to hundreds of thousands of coins.  I would love to add your coins to my site. If you have any unlisted major die breaks (cuds) that you can contribute please post them.  If it's not already attributed somewhere else, I will give you credit as the discover and I will also give you photo credit.

Thank you in advance!

Cuds-a-plenty on this one.

1674-obverse-cuds.jpg

1674-reverse-cuds.jpg

• Like 1

1824 bare head halfcrown obverse die struck in Barton's Metal. With flaws out from the centre in several directions, this die was unlikely to have lasted much longer

c1699-1824 Halfcrown obv. Barton's Metal - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Rob and Michael, I really should have defined "major die break" and "cuds". I'm really sorry about that.

Error-ref.com defines it as "A cud is a die break that involves the rim and at least a little bit of the adjacent field or design.  The vast majority of sizable die breaks are cuds.  Cuds can assume a wide variety of shapes including ovoid, crescentic, and irregular.  Most cuds represent spontaneous brittle failure.  A small minority arise as the result of impacts." and a split die as "A split die develops when a rim-to-rim die crack extends deep into the die neck and die shank (shaft). The width of the split is proportional to its depth of penetration. Split dies usually divide the die face into two sub-equal parts. These may be termed “median”, “bisecting”, or “symmetrical” split dies. A width of .5 MM is the determination point which differentiates a rim to rim bisecting die crack from a split die."

Unfortunately I'm not listing die chips or die cracks.  These are far too numerous and widely not collected for their own merit.

This is entirely on me, I will be amending my post so that I am more clear.  Thank you both very, very much.

-Jason

Very similar to the probable F-18, although the reverse is reminiscent of a reverse F...  feedback and thoughts welcomed

1861 OBVERSE CUD - Obverse   (reduced).jpg

1861 OBVERSE CUD - Reverse   (reduced).jpg

• Like 1

An intriguing set of 3 identical 1967 obverse cud pennies. Interestingly/Coincidentally I missed out on 2 other matching examples on Ebay in the past.

GBP-1967-B  CUD SET of 3 -  OBVERSE.JPG

GBP-1967-B  CUD SET of 3 -  REVERSE.JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jason Renaud said:

Perfect Bernie, do you have a photo of the obverse?

Much higher definition pictures are available, but limited on this forum

58 1892 Flan Flaw obv.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

An intriguing set of 3 identical 1967 obverse cud pennies. Interestingly/Coincidentally I missed out on 2 other matching examples on Ebay in the past.

GBP-1967-B  CUD SET of 3 -  OBVERSE.JPG

GBP-1967-B  CUD SET of 3 -  REVERSE.JPG

What a great set! Would you be able to send me a high res picture of your best one please?

I've only this which serves as an example of a cud. Nothing special.

c2126 - 1840 groat with cud.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I'm not on Facebook, so I have to post here..  Sorry

An 1862 Half Penny Obverse cud

1862  F-289  OBVERSE CUD  - Obverse  (reduced).jpg

1862  F-289  OBVERSE CUD  - Reverse.jpg

Thanks for this Bronze & Copper Collector. It's now listed as 1/2p-1862-1a.  Based on the file name, can I assume that it's F-289? I like to cross reference if I can.  Also, can I use your real name on the site?

20 minutes ago, Rob said:

I've only this which serves as an example of a cud. Nothing special.

c2126 - 1840 groat with cud.jpg

Nothing special??? It's a gorgeous example of a retained cud. This is from londoncoins.co.uk, isn't it? I recognise the wear on Queen Victoria's hair and ear.  It will be listed as 4p-1840-1Ra.  Thank you!

Yes. I bought it as I needed an example of a cud in the collection and didn't have one. Ticks a box.

46 minutes ago, Bernie said:

This penny was once owned by me

Fr41 Obv Flan.jpg

Fr41 Rev Flan.jpg

That's an amazing cracked planchet!  It is probably just barely held together.  It reminds me of the "Broken CC" Morgan dollar - https://minterrornews.com/features-2-4-03-allen_rowe-broken_cc.html  It doesn't fit on my site (yet) but it certainly would fit in my collection! Great coin.

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yes. I bought it as I needed an example of a cud in the collection and didn't have one. Ticks a box.

What name would you like me to credit you as?

8 minutes ago, Jason Renaud said:

What name would you like me to credit you as?

Rob (Predecimal Forum). It might help to send a few more people here.

• Like 1

70362818_DSC008352.jpeg.cd59106be97634a4b2f4f34a4b28b177.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Probable F-18 Obverse Cud

1861  F-18  OBVERSE CUD - Obverse  (reduced).jpg

1861  F-18  OBVERSE CUD - Reverse  (reduced).jpg

Now listed as 1P-1861-1a.  This would be very exciting if it was proved to be paired with a second reverse!  How would you like me to credit you?

14 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

70362818_DSC008352.jpeg.cd59106be97634a4b2f4f34a4b28b177.jpeg

That's great! I love the horizontal shift by the date. You can really see it by how the beads don't line up.  Can you please send me a pic of the obverse and a larger picture of the reverse?

Thanks!

Jason