British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
pies

How to catalog couns

Ok so idiot here had his catalog of coins on an excel spreadsheet with no backups, and the PC has now died

I don’t  plan on replacing the PC but rely on my ipad. Unfortunately from what i can see excel is a subscription service if you want to edit a document 

So what are the options?

Google Sheets.

• Like 1

Are their guide books to help properly attribute your "COUNS" so that you can catalog them accordingly??

Such as what exists for coins...

How do you grade a "COUN"?

15 hours ago, pies said:

Ok so idiot here had his catalog of coins on an excel spreadsheet with no backups, and the PC has now died

I don’t  plan on replacing the PC but rely on my ipad. Unfortunately from what i can see excel is a subscription service if you want to edit a document 

So what are the options?

You could always do a hand written hard copy clerical document, or print out your catalogue. That way you will never lose it.

PC's are very convenient and obviously great for amending a "living document" in real time. But documents, spreadsheets and the like do have an unfortunate tendency to suddenly and permanently disappear, for a variety of reasons.     

21 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

You could always do a hand written hard copy clerical document, or print out your catalogue. That way you will never lose it.

PC's are very convenient and obviously great for amending a "living document" in real time. But documents, spreadsheets and the like do have an unfortunate tendency to suddenly and permanently disappear, for a variety of reasons.    

That's why I

• backup four times a day to Time Machine (automatic)
  • create a clone of my complete system as often as I remember
  • have automatic cloud backups for smaller things like WP SS DB files, which includes all my coin stuff, so whenever I make a change it's automatically backed up

And if ever upgrade to an OS which doesn't support my database software, I can get a newer version from eBay .. and as 'belt and braces' I can always output the databases as Excel SS's so a multitude of programs will be able to open them.

So you see, it would take a widespread disaster to permanently destroy my data [touching wood :lol:].

• Like 1

Late to the party but I use Google Sheets which I periodically export as a .csv and store on my phone for offline access/as a backup.

I used excel when cataloguing but then I thought to myself 'what is the point?' - it takes ages, it's annoying, it wasn't going to be used for selling or passing onto my family in the case I die so I just stopped and it was detracting on collecting and spending time with my coins. 

But I would recommend Google Sheets if you want to do a catalogue - though I have never printed anything out on them so do not know if it will format the document correctly when printing. You can buy microsoft as a one time purchase for PC with no updates, think it costs about £120.

Edited by yaaseen

I use FileMaker Pro. I wouldn't be without it - I can record all the details I want about particular coins including pictures, plus the all-important facts about cost, where I got it from, date of purchase, any previous provenance, Spink values, varieties, distinguishing features, etc etc.

I use FilemakePro with a Template that came with version 5.  Did you develop your own?

Edited by whitedb

2 hours ago, whitedb said:

I use FilemakePro with a Template that came with version 5.  Did you develop your own?

Yes - begun with FMP4, then developed further in FMP6 and FMP10 (my current version). This is an example of how one coin appears in 4 of the many layouts I've evolved!

852424658_FMProdatabase.thumb.jpg.00ce7252fdc0a83542fea01f0d50efab.jpg