British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

1964 Penny -What Do You think?

I got this coin recently and looks almost normal. What do readers think?

I will show a second picture ASAP

40420FAA-4C46-4DFA-AD19-2DF8B85400C6.jpeg

Edges a bit square..D43C03AE-71B1-44FA-9708-204F46384EE5.jpeg

Edited by VickySilver
Precision

Ignore me i was looking up 1864 not 1964 😂 

Edited by pies

OK, this was a trick post - the coin is certified as TWO reverse dies, a genuine double-reverse coin!

I believe that was from the era of "mint sport"; as I had [I believe] previously posted I also have a double reverse proof 1970 penny. The OP coin was slabbed as AU58 Brown by NGC. There may be a dash over ONE and will have to look at the original coin.

These are more obviously so, whereas I am not certain of the off metal strikes in CuNi (I have one of each date of those 1964-67).

Edited by VickySilver
precision
  • Like 1

No fooling young Richard! It is.

the first one looks to have a noticeably smaller date.

Yes, I agree. I doubt anybody has studied date varieties of the poor 1964 penny??

16 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Yes, I agree. I doubt anybody has studied date varieties of the poor 1964 penny??

Probably not... with one possible exception - Dave Groom. If you have a copy of his bronze 20th Century varieties book (I don't), he may have covered this.

• Like 1

For 1964 . Groom has 2 reverses , a reverse F with a calm sea , similar to the 1963 , and a rev G which has a choppy sea .Also noted are 2 parralel lines in the exergue to the left of the date , short helmet plumes and missing waves .

• Like 2

One reason the date looks smaller is that the teeth are small just below the exergue area giving the impression there's more space below the 9 and 6. Maybe it's an optical illusion, or a variety with compressed teeth?

15 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

One reason the date looks smaller is that the teeth are small just below the exergue area giving the impression there's more space below the 9 and 6. Maybe it's an optical illusion, or a variety with compressed teeth?

I went out with her.....

14 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

I went out with her.....

........but I married her☹️

• Haha 2

No doubt other assets....

IMO still looks like the one date is larger than the other when looking at each digit - see for example the top stem to the "6".

Edited by VickySilver
precision
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

No doubt other assets....

IMO still looks like the one date is larger than the other when looking at each digit - see for example the top stem to the "6".

You're just jealous that me and Richard got in before you.....

Or is my reaction based on a bottle of Macallan and Wayne Shorter's  'Speak no Evil'. from 1965,....a dangerous combination.....?

LOL

Sloppy seconds....

• Haha 1